A slight different approach to a build

So I’m considering building my first custom keyboard. Being a complete beginner, I’ve been looking into getting the GMMK Pro so as to make my first steps a bit easier. As I don’t really have any preferences when it comes to different switches, PCBs etc yet, I thought the flex of being able to swap different parts with relative ease might further spark my curiosity for custom keyboards.

Now here’s where my reason/approach for building begins to differ (I think) from the usual gamer/keen enthusiast: I’m currently taking on a Master’s degree in (irrelevant), and so want to build a keyboard that would please me both aesthetically and when it comes to pleasingly, thocky (?) sound. This is my main reason for choosing the GMMK Pro, as I would be able to swap parts as I’m progressing my degree, to find my preference in everything related to the typing experience.

So any recommendations, tips, tricks, experiences are welcome and appreciated.
Bare in mind that being located in Norway, I prefer the ISO standards, and am such limited to parts and accessories adapted for the Nordic market.

PS: earlier experience with keyboards limits to various gaming brands, and a Keychron k2 with blue switches.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome.

That’s a pretty sound approach u have in mind. But sadly ISO and Nordic keycaps can make this hobby hard and expensive so I would really do some investigating if you could do fine on a ANSI keyboard.
(I made the transition and I or rather my wallet would have liked if I did it sooner).

But If you live in or nere by Oslo I would go to the mekanisk.com shop to try out some switches and stuff.

Anyway, GMMK Pro and Keychron Q1 are two similar keebs were the Q1 gets the most praise but can be a little harder to get.
If you are open for a 65% the KBD67 Lite is a great option.

Are u open to order from Sweden and can use our keycaps u can find a bunch at maxgaming.se and kbnordic.se

U can find lube and stuff at loob.no and if u want to have someone do it for you u can use smord.store.

Ha de :wave:

2 Likes

Or simply maxgaming.no :wink:

loob.no also sells some switches and stuff.

I have the same “problem”, living in Norway and trying to find keycaps in Norwegian or at least pan-nordic.
ISO+Norwegian is a pretty difficult combination, but not impossible.

Mange hilser fra en annen nordic keeb-nerd :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply and all the tips. Tbh I haven’t really gotten into understanding the difference between ISO and ANSI. I’ve noticed the enter-key seems to be the big difference. But as long as I’m able to use the Nordic language setup on the rest of the keys, I don’t see a problem switching to ANSI. Thoughts?

Thanks for the tip on the loobing-service btw! That was one of my main dreads for the build :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Indeed. But is ANSI+Norwegian any better?

No, it’s actually worse :wink:
Ready-made keycap-sets in Norwegian are automatically ISO, since Norwegian is officially and iso-country when it comes to keyboards.

So far, all my Norwegian builds are ISO.

I just finished my first ANSI-Norwegian (hhkb)- build, but it’s keycaps are not bought as a complete set, I combined them from different smaller kits from Signature Plastics.

I wouldn’t mind using caps from different sets, as long as I’m able to write with all our letters as I would on an ISO.

Welcome to the server!

Now here’s where my reason/approach for building begins to differ (I think) from the usual gamer/keen enthusiast: I’m currently taking on a Master’s degree in (irrelevant), and so want to build a keyboard that would please me both aesthetically and when it comes to pleasingly, thocky (?) sound. This is my main reason for choosing the GMMK Pro, as I would be able to swap parts as I’m progressing my degree, to find my preference in everything related to the typing experience.

I would venture a guess that 75% of people in the mech community are after non-gamer-style boards that look and sound great, so you’re in good company. :slight_smile:

Good to know :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Same here.

I did my first steps with caps from kbdfans, I tried both Cherry and DSA profile.
They are really affordable, decent for the price, and they come with all “our” letters :wink:
You can get them at maxgaming.no.

They also offer several other (more expensive) keycap sets with ÅÆØ.

If you, by any chance are writing your master in Trondheim, I could show you some sets and switches.

Sadly, I’m located further south in the country :grin:

A bit far to drive then :wink:

In any case I’d suggest trying some profiles, preferably with cheaper sets, before you use a lot of money on expensive sets.

1 Like

Do u miss any keys here?

Nope, that seems right :+1:

It’s a really nice set u can buy @ kbnordic.se for 80€, and is on par with ePBT.
Will cover the majority of keebs between 60% to 100%.

3 Likes

That really looks surprisingly good for the price. Thanks for the hint!

Maybe I’ll give it a try, even if I am usually a DSA-person.

1 Like