Anyone finding their prefered switch weighting getting lighter or heavier as time goes on?

I don’t think my school had that one. It’s crazy to see how far we’ve come from 5.25 floppy’s.

Shoutouts to Number Muncher and its sequel, Word Muncher

For me right now, 62 gram tealios are getting pretty light for me so I might try to swap out for a heavier spring weight, what would you guys recommend moving to.

1 Like

I wouldn’t ramp it up too much at first, I would say go with 65g or 67g for the next step.

MX Blacks --> Gateron Reds --> Gateron Yellows --> MX Silent Reds–> NK Creams (do not care much for these, but I also didn’t go through lubing them so maybe I’m missing out.) Right around getting the Creams is when I went to silenced Topre 45g in an FC660C.

I’m curious about premier switches like the Sakurios (62g) or maybe light stem Tangerines but nothing heavier. Read a thread here somewhere about force curves and changing springs to progressive ones, but that will be for a time when my income is back to its pre-pandemic number. Am satisfied enough with basic Topre 45g and budget linears for the time being.

1 Like

63.5g ride or die

5 Likes

I started in the middle, then went heavy, and now I’ve gone soft…

2 Likes

My sweet spot right now is 65g-67g. So right in the middle I guess?

I also LOVE my 45g silenced topres.

2 Likes

@WayToBlue Are you able to switch between 45g Topres and 67g easily? My daily driver is 67g but I have always want to get the topre just dont know if they are too light for my taste.

1 Like

Funny you ask this. My answer is no. This may come as a surprise to some, but will be seen as obvious to others. I’ve gone all in on lighter linears. 67g flares up my arthritis. I’m on 45g Topre (when I want a tactile switch) and 62g spring swapped Gateron Black Inks.

Also, Topre just operates differently than MX. For what you are probably used to (67g), you should give 55g Topre a go. In my opinion it is the most satisfying Topre experience as far as sound and feel go. But it is simply too heavy for me.

3 Likes

Thx, that’s good to know. I will probably still try 45g first since my current drive has a hhkb layout. And it seems like 45g is the only stock option for hhkb. I am surprised that your experience is consistent with others in this thread(switching to lighter switches).

1 Like

Kind of ye. I thought 63.5g slow springs was the best. But then I tried the Bluish White and it’s labeled at 43.5g(operating force) and I really like them.
After that I ordered 58g dualstage springs and they feel perfect in my Ink Yellows. So just slightly lighter…

1 Like

I thought 67g was a nice sweet spot for a long time. Recently I have been rocking a lot of 63.5g switches. Tried the Pewters at 58g, and I am really like them as well.

Now I am struggling to go back to 67… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

If it is just for speed typing on typeracer or monkey type, I would definitely prefer 62g or perhaps lighter weight as well. But for everyday work, 67g is still the sweet spot for me right now, just like that a little more pushback on fingers

2 Likes

How did you manage to do that? I am on a HHKB stock topre for two weeks, and every time I switch back to my zealios board, it will take some time to adjust. I could be wrong, but this seems to be mostly for fun rather than for productivity lol

I think I might be gravitating towards heavy switches.

I have a mild tremor that becomes more apparent with light switches, and by the same token is mitigated / less of a factor with heavy ones. Even though I tend to gravitate towards tactiles for adjacent reasons, some of my favorite switches to use are fast-curve linears that start medium and get heavy quickly.

1 Like

I tend to not like harsh bottom outs, so I like to pick a weight that provides enough resistance midway through the keystroke, and that is definitely weights that go from 62 to 67. I have tried up to 72 before and it was just so heavy that it hurt if I typed on them for any length of time.

1 Like

I can now confirm that this is also the path i was on. Started with

1. gateron brown —>
  2. heavier sharper tactile (78g zealios v2, Holy panda, boba u4) —>
  3. topre 45g —>
  4. Light tactile (mx brown, durock light tactiles)
  5. light linear with long springs, and/or with reduce travel
  6. light linear with short springs (45g sprit supreme)

Initially a big fan of sharp tactile. The topre experience was a turning point and since then I have been preferring smaller tactile bump and ligher springs. Eventually end up in the linear gang.

Easing Into Linears and Long springs helped me to transit from tactile to linear. Back and forth with different springs lengths and keep going back to standard 14mm springs.

3 Likes

Lighter

2 Likes

As the time goes on with linear switches I’ve pretty much stayed the same, Gat Yellow range (62g?) is my favorite.

But with tactiles I’m leaning towards light tactiles, started with the U4Ts, went to the lavenders and now I’m using Tecsee Purple Pandas which have heavier bottom out but the but their bump is less pronounced.

1 Like