Are the keycaps on the IBM KB-9910 made of PBT or it's just ABS & Can this be Modded to Mechanical Switches?

Hello extreme keyboards friends. Are the keycaps on the IBM KB-9910 made of PBT and could this keyboard be somehow modded to mechanical switches using modern switches getting rid of it’s dome and membrane system?

Thank you. God bless you.

1 Like

Not 100%, but I am 99% sure the caps are lasered ABS from the looks of them. It could be modded to mechanical switches, but would be a huge undertaking. This thread is about someone who did something similar to a Dell Quietkey bigfoot so you can get some ideals. He used a PCB & just cut away all the areas where the switches go for a plateless build. Not sure you’d find a PCB that’ll fit that case though. In that case you’d be looking at using the existing chassis for a plate. Which would require you to hand cut each hole bigger to fit an MX switch & holes for plate mounted stabilizers. Then you’d have to handwire the whole mess together. If you can find a PCB that’ll fit in the case I’d say it’s worth a shot, but as far as the handwiring way goes I wouldn’t waste my time on that TBH.

2 Likes