Arisu & Alice Layout Catchall

correct imo

2 Likes

Wow that picture really got my attention.

Been debating if I want to go Arisu or Alice for my first venture into this layout subgenre. I definitely am in need of arrows for my daily work but not all of the layouts have the best look IMO.

Is there more info on the Gothic 70 metal versions anywhere? Tried googling but not much results.

1 Like

Only info as yet is on the discord

Did anyone go in on the AVA as of yet? Still considering if I want to wait for the KBD Maja or pay the extra 100 for the AVA soon to be $150 with shipping!

The Ava color choices seemed to match my favorite keycap sets (Laser) better than Maja’s options so I went with the e-white Ava. Would have gotten the polycarbonate option but it didn’t feel right to spend that much on a plastic case, but I’ve never handled PC and so it’s probably my mistake. I’m going to post some sale listings soon to try and recoup the cost of this, :joy:

2 Likes

the concept of plastic as cheap is only true in prebuilts for the most part, every polycarbonate custom I’ve used has been better than their aluminum counterpart in terms of sound and (IMO) aesthetics.

3 Likes

Yeah I will definitely will have to sell some keebs or maybe even a kidney😅

1 Like

Great review! I’ve been lurking this board for a week or so. You answered a ton of my questions. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Does anyone know what is the Mill-Max compatibility of the YMDK Wings? I have one on my way, but the manufacturer told me “only solder”. I’m not sure if this is true or if he just played safe.

1 Like

If you can solder, you can mill-max. There are two sizes - Mill-Max Hot Swap sockets – Ringer Keys

The 305 tins are cheaper but longer. These can have compatibility issues since they are longer. If you have a really flex plate or there is not a lot of space between the bottom of the case and PCB, then they may bump. The 7305’s don’t really have any compatibility issues in my experience, but they are a little hard to install as they are fairly short, and you can easily get solder in them.

1 Like

Thank you for this wrap up. I’ve never soldered Mill-max sockets and reading this was very useful.

However, I’m interested in knowing whether the Wings, specifically, can be mill-max’d or not. The manufacturer told me I can’t do it, but he could have just lacked the English vocabulary needed to explain what he wanted to say.

1 Like

Yeah that is hard to say. My gut tells me it is likely a mis-communication, because to my knowledge any PCB that you can regularly solder, you can mill-max.

The only issue I could see is that length issue I mentioned. Maybe the pcb would sit too close to the bottom of the case. You will really have to test it.

Now that I think about it though, on all my mill-max boards, the legs of the switch stick out further than the 7305 sockets… so again if you can solder regularly, you should be fine with 7305…

1 Like

Been attempting to get someone to open up a wings to see what mounting it uses. If it’s top mount where the plate will actually screw to PCB with standoffs, like YMDK’s own Melody96, Millmax will be perfect.

I’ll report back as soon as I can on it!

1 Like

Thank you for replying. The plate is integrated in the top frame actually.

1 Like

Filled out this Wings review a bit more and put it up on my website.

2 Likes

The Neito is a stacked acrylic ISO+arisu layout board with rotary support, if it were PC or aluminum I’d consider it because of the unique layout. https://olli.works/post/neito-group-buy-a-alice-like-keyboard-with-iso-support/
This one is up for GB this month.

9 Likes

a through-hole designed Alice, awesome

2 Likes
1 Like

It looks like it’s VIA compatible now. I spotted the hex file in the firmware folder, but it’s labeled as just “Wings” on their supported keyboard page.

1 Like