Beginners welcome?

Welcome @kodama! You’ll find the whole range here, from beginners like yourself to people who design some of the coolest stuff in the hobby - this is a great place to learn about and enjoy keebs.

@laughmaster’s avatar is a Kodama - hmm maybe it’s time someone made an artisan cap of one…

3 Likes

Starting my 3rd year falling down this rabbit hole and just about to begin my first real build, so, define new. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I do have to say being polite, courtesy, and respect go a long way. So, you have the right approach.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Came here looking for this :wink:

So, what’s the question? Inquiring minds and all…

What if I made a hoodie? :crazy_face:

I’m serious though. If you have any requests, please let me know people!

1 Like

Sounds rad to me - before I made the stickers I did recently, I asked one of the founders. They’re all nice folks, I’d definitely check with them, at least where using Keebtalk logos and such are concerned.

I’d totally rock a hoodie with a big Keebtalk monogram on the back.

2 Likes

Yes to hoodie IC! Lets start a new “thread” lol (see what I did there :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Will definitely do that. I will also post one on reddit. When I can find a few minutes to create a post that can explain what I have in mind :sweat_smile:

Oh and I see what you did there :nerd_face:

1 Like

I’ll make sure to do that (I had already approached some of them unknowingly) but I will try with that in mind. Thank you for the idea!

Truth right here ↟, feel free to ask away @kodama! You find a much more mature & willing to help scene here. We do not approve of the “jesh, read goddamn wiki that’s what it is there for!” or " use google much?" approach of interacting with with newcomers. Any question you have, no matter how stupid it may seem to you will get the most helpful responses possible here bud! :wink:

2 Likes

BTW, does it bother anyone else a good bit of the other MKB forums have become so toxic & unwelcoming we are getting people showing up here hesitant to ask question they have? It really bothers me, the toxic elitism of a small but loud portion of the community reflects terribly on all of us. Think we may need to start actively calling out those who act like out… :thinking:

5 Likes

It totally bothers me. I’m with you, I think it’s more an issue of the platforms they’ve grown on then the community itself. Clearly the community, outside of those platforms seems really cool. But those platforms have grown to be terrible before, and have no doubt influenced the culture and what’s acceptable behavior - or rather not moderated behavior. For example, I never used to go on reddit before this hobby, and still actively try to avoid it. It will take a lot of effort to combat that. That’s almost like trying to calm down twitter. What can you do?

4 Likes

Thank you, everyone. It definitely seems like I found the right place.

8 Likes

We’re glad to have you! It’s always nice to see new people around here :smile:

And nice username btw :+1:

I think part of the problem is that reddit just isn’t meant to be a discussion platform like Discourse is, and part that the ratio of people asking questions to the people answering them is abysmally high. I used to constantly go through the “ask any question” daily threads on r/mk to help people and it was always about a dozen people answering hundreds of questions, and reddit as a platform just makes that problem worse. You get compassion fatigue after doing that for a while, and some people handle that very poorly.

Thankfully everything floats to the top at keebtalk, and we have a disproportionate amount of experienced people, so it’s much less of a problem here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

“And nice username btw”

Seems like the forest is healthy here. :grinning:

I guess my first stupid question is how to blockquote on mobile. What’s the opening and closing text for the command here?

And I’m not here to whine, but for the curious, yes reddit. Yes dm’s. I’m way past the point in my life where I care beyond being unwilling to waste my time with it.

Just highlight the text you want to quote and there will be a little popup that will fill out all the syntax for you.

You can also start any paragraph in your post with a right angle bracket, >. For example: > my post message… you’ll see in your post preview, it will render as quote.

You can highlight text within your post while editing and click the “quote marks” icon in the tool bar too. That will make the text block a quote.

And if you haven’t already, this forum has a tutorial bot that will show you how do all sorts of things in here. Look in your DMs, and you should see it. Hope that helps!

2 Likes

To elaborate on this: probably the most straightforward way to learn formatting here with a background in programming is just for me to say “Markdown is supported” and point you to a Markdown guide. If you still have questions about formatting we’re obviously happy to answer them, but I know I personally love to have a searchable reference to look over.

5 Likes

Brilliant! Wish I’d thought of that. Great suggestion!

There’s also the tutorial from @keebot which I think new users should get a PM from when you sign up. If not, send it a message with @keebot start new user. And if you really want to get into what you can do with Discourse, send a message to it with @keebot start advanced user for the slightly more hidden tutorial.

5 Likes