Boba U4 vs U4T (vs Holy Boba)

Yeah. Bobas in general don’t necessarily need to be lubed at 62 G and up, but the springs should always be lubed.

1 Like

i spring swapped the bobas i got instantly…tried without swapping on the U4Thocks and thought they were fine on my hotswap board, soldered them to my kbd75…then noticed a week or two later a significant amount of springping and crunchiness…=( but…another excuse to redo my kbd75…the wire on my durock stab on the left shift came out again too. Keebs are a labor of love!

3 Likes

Yeah, you gotta watch those Durock stabs. At least my C3 Equalz V2 stabs have not popped out yet… and now I have V3.

I’m thinking of ordering the IKKI68 Aurora with the matching stabs, but they are said to be like Durocks. Good, as long as nothing goes wrong. So I have some C3 V3 stabilizers as backup.

Gazzew isn’t a big fan of lubing Bobas, but he does recommend lubing the springs.

Truth be told, factory Aliaz and Zilents both suffer from spring noises. It hurts what is supposed to be a silent switch. Aliaz benefits from aftermarket, like 65 G TX. All these factory ‘silent’ housings need lubed springs.

2 Likes

On the bobas, i can see going without the lube on the stem/housing. haven’t tried it but i can see that being fine too. wish they used better springs though. it’d easily be worth the extra cents per switch imo…
I am really loving these first two switches I’ve tried from Gazzew…i was not a fan of tactiles until these.

2 Likes

I got some Bobagums from him not log ago, and I could swear the springs and poles (but nothing else) were already lubed. He’s where I learned about donut-dipping, and that has saved a few springs that I’d otherwise never use.

1 Like

Was thinking of making some Holy Bobas with Polia stems (Bobias?). Will these work with the original Boba top or will I need to use Outemu clear tops?

Original top will work just fine. Ha, I call them “Poli Bobas”

2 Likes

Sweet, I gotta wait for another batch of Polias and U4Ts to come in now!

While we’re on the subject. I think you’ve said that U4 stems in a Polia housing are pretty good silent tactiles. Any other Polia housing reccomendations? I’m about to have a few hundred of them. This is like the bad old days of having a ton of Halo housings.

1 Like

Nothing so far that stands out. They make decent linear housings - I do like Halo True springs for fast-curve linears, as well.

1 Like

I think I gave away most of my old panda-linear stems that got pulled out of Yoks so I’ll have to dig around to see if I have some loose linear stems to slot in there. Looking for anything that will be better than a stock switch in these OEM boards I want to desolder and fix up for friends (browns and reds).

1 Like

I have force curves now of these 3 switches at 68g:

Thanks to Deadeye for sending some Halo parts for making the Holy Bobas (along with numeros other switches), and Clark for sending me some U4T’s to measure.

4 Likes

some 62g in stock today here

1 Like

@Deadeye ,
I set out to make a batch of Bobias today and I’m finding that the Polia stems are a bit sluggish on return compared to the U4T stem. Is that your experiences as well? It’s not like the experience I had with Moyu stems where some wouldn’t return at all but I do find they’re a bit lacking in the return. I don’t think it’s my imagination but it could be. I didn’t lube them yet, just put a few together to test so that might help. Just wanted to get your experience with them.

Thanks!

1 Like

Compared to the U4T stems, yes - the Polias don’t have as poppy a return in the Boba housings thanks to their bigger bump.

A heavier (or better, more pre-loaded) spring will help; I tried replacing the standard 62g spring in mine with a much longer 58g spring, and that reclaimed a fair bit of snappiness. (It also introduced plenty of spring rattle - so be prepared to lube those.) I had the 58g on-hand, but I might recommend the 62 or 67g version for this, as the 58 does sacrifice some of the bottom-out weight I appreciated before even though it adds plenty of top-weight.

1 Like

Interesting. I have some symmetric (two stage I guess) springs from Kinetic that I should try on these to see if they help. Maybe give an honest attempt at lubing too.

How did the symmetric springs work out for you? - I tried the TT DL 67.5+ (22mm) on the Holy Boba and the return is just as fast as standard, the sound profile is a little higher on bottom out… they feel good though with initial key press feeling weighty, but I’ve only tried these on a tester at this point.

1 Like

I haven’t had a chance to build a whole set of them. I made a few and they felt pretty good though I do find the return a smidge underwhelming (because the Boba tops are a bit tighter than the Polia stems want them to be).

I’m hoping to build a new board in the next few months and want to have a set of these ready to go so I’ll probably try to make 80 or soon.

Cool, I’m used the Halo stems and they seem to fit just fine no issues on the return but wanted to see what others thought about the longer springs on these. :+1:

Hello all,

I thought I would contribute a couple of comparison pics of the U4T vs. Polia Stems. And my experimenting w them.
Before I attempted this swap I could not find any pics w these two stems compared.
My research tells me that Polia & Halos are the exact same stem. Since I was able to grab the polia’s
dirt cheap. I gave them a go…

Issues I ran into are confirmed:

1. Stem return on just a handful of 110qty.
  2. My normal “go-to” spring weights felt noticeably heavier. I tried…
  • 68g stock Boba’s
  • 67g TX long (16mm)
  • 62g TX long(16mm)
  • I finally arrived comfortably @ 60g TX Long.

I could even go a touch lighter and would be happy. maybe the 58gL
I think the the long spring or any hybrid spring may help with the return issues on some housings for sure with making Holy Bobas. And other housings swapped in for the same stem w issue performed without issue. Trial & error is necessary for tuning imho.

The results for me are a success. I like them much better with the crispy bump & sound. I can definitely feel the difference in both variations of the switch. Happy tuning!

Cheers :call_me_hand:

6 Likes

Friend of mine gave me some spare Holy (Polia) Bobas to play with as well!
Initial impression is that they are eerily similar - with the Holy Bobas having that bit more roundness in tactility

3 Likes