Building my first custom keyboard, can't decide (or even understand)

Can’t wait to see the end result. I actually picked up a dz65 Kit myself the other day. Nice choice on stabs and switches. I’m going to be curious what how it looks all together.

I also agree I went with the dz65 because I wanted to have a nice daily driver while I’m figuring everything out. I’m going to be watching out for some higher end keebs for the long term

Also heads up if you figure out what you like, and you want to try it out. The kbd67v2 fits in your case and it allows you to solder your first board. That’s my plan after I figure out my baseline preferences.

I also see you have a switch tester. Good start IMO.

Have fun on this new journey! :slightly_smiling_face:

Best,
Charizard

2 Likes

I think I need (and we need) an up-to-date switch tester which includes tangerines, nk creams, holly pandas etc. All the switch testers has the basic switches.

As soon as I’ve got Tofu65 to my hand I went “oh oh oh ohhh”. The weight alone satisfied me enough already. I knew I’m on the right path. I’ve been a mouse freak for many years now, and I felt like stupid not entering custom keyboard scene all these years.

I’m from Turkey, writing this from Istanbul. I lived in Los Angeles for last two years and I thought it was the perfect time to enter this scene. Cause I’m paying immense amount of shipping and taxes here. All the vendors ships using Fedex and DHL. In terms of speed it is great but the shipping is like from 25$ to 45$ for each piece (depending on the size and weight). Packages travel fast till they reach Turkey and then customs comes in to play. They send a form asking official papers and questions about whats inside the package, They butcher the box in order to see it themselves. (My randomfrankp x nk deskpad has slightly long box cutter mark on it) and you pay taxes for the amount of their liking. I had to pay like additional 100$ for taxes and other stuff is still on the way. Being a part of a third world country is not helping.

But nevertheless every step of it worths it.

As someone who has also recently entered the scene, feeling the weight was also the “eureka!” moment for me. There really is just something about having a nice little slab of metal that you turn into a functional, everyday device.

1 Like

Congrats on your tofu65 build!! I am enjoying mine too! The weight is really great and feels very premium!

For keycaps, I would recommend EPBT abs cherry profile keycaps! I have a few of those and they really sound and feel good on the touch.