Building with thicker plates than usual

So I noticed that I have easy access to a supply of 3mm and 5mm acrylic sheets, as well as a laser cutter.

Is there anything I should know about before I try making myself a 3mm acrylic plate as a first experiment? I mean things that will trip me up by not fitting and so on.

Your input is appreciated!

Folks have done thicker plates before, and may have specific advice. The primary thing to keep in mind is that the spots where switches clip to the plate need to be made thinner so that they can still be held in place by the plate.

2 Likes

other big thing to note is if you’re using stabilizers you’ll need a lot more room in the stabilizer cut out than you would for a thinner plate. Typically a “normal” sized plate only is cutaway for the top of the stabilizer and the stab will get thicker further down its structure (toward the PCB).

1 Like

I don’t think there is a benefit of going thicker unless it’s 5mm. From my experience, the advantage of a thick plastic plate is, in large part, acoustics. The fact that your plate is resting on the PCB is what transforms the typing and sound experience. You could simulate with a 3mm plate and try to find some 2mm pate foam perhaps? I really like the sound and feel of the 5mm plates I own. I own 4 Noxary PC plates. They sound phenomenal. They make my tray mounted boards sound and feel far better than they should. Also, 5mm plates make hotswap changes dead simple.

As others have stated, it’s best to have an undercut to 1.5mm to allow switches to clip in (although not completely necessary, since at 5mm they wont be going anywhere), and definitely experiment with lots of space for stabilizer wire. I own a few 3 and 4mm plates and on all of them I’ve had to modify the space for stabilizers… always a headache.

1 Like

Thanks, the point about the switch clip thickness is a good one.

Good point, I shall need to ensure enough stab space.

To be honest, this doesn’t come under the heading of “researched the best solution” at all. I’m contemplating doing it because I can, and I’m mostly just curious to know how well it will work.

I am very grateful to all of you for providing feedback and advice, which I shall certainly take into account at the execution stage.