Clickiez are here!

Ye I have tried that soap, it’s nice and certainly something special.

Would rather buy a regular switch and buy the soap for the money I save.

1 Like

Huh, look at that - alongside these it looks like Zeal is also doing an UHMWPE stem linear and a Nylon stem linear:

The first looks to be something akin to a polycarb-housing Hippo, while the second appears to be one I’ve seen before: it appears that the all-clear switch Gateron has been working on is actually one of Zeal’s new linears.

I’m very interested to see if the Nylon-stem one fares better than JWK’s and Tecsee’s attempts at making reliable all-clear switches. I’m also interested to see if the umwipe one balances slickness and consistency differently than the Hippo (or other umwipe stem switches for that matter). I’m curious about these too, but not enough to throw down on a set of each just yet.

4 Likes

the big thing is that these new switches are using the cap desing for the housing/stem. So they wont be interchangable with other mx switches, but they might perform better? Dunno, never got that much of an “improved” feel out of caps switches.

1 Like

Ah, that’s right - didn’t occur to me that would be true for the other two switches in that post.

I got some Cap v2s not long ago, and I’d say in general the Cap design is an adjacent option that caters to certain priorities, rather than an overall improvement. They have a nice, rattle-free, “wet” feeling (without the gross too-much-in-the-tube feeling) and a clean bottom-out, and also have a very stable-feeling travel. On the other hand, while I think they feel great when hit dead-on, more off-center presses offer more resistance. Not exactly “bind-y” but that’s the first word that comes to mind.

Compared directly with stock KS-3 Yellows, stock Cap Gold Yellow V2s do feel like an “improvement” in most respects, aside from how they behave when pressed significantly off-center. KS-3’s basically don’t care, but these will protest a bit.

If that’s a non-issue for someone, they might find Cap V2s a good and easy pathway to a pleasantly buttery experience - but someone with experience tuning their own switches probably won’t find much to be impressed with in terms of feel.

All that being the case I’m curious to see how Nylon and UHMWPE take to the design. I’m not sure it’s totally “arrived” yet but I do think Gateron are genuinely on to something with the Cap format.

2 Likes

While I do applaud the innovation, one other thing to consider is that they might have priced themselves out of this switch having any value to hobbyist. You can buy a decent click, tactile, and linear switch for nearly the same price LOL. So really this switch needs to be so good after people try it out that people’s head explode in joy.

One aspect that does have me very curious is that it sounds like it has only one click? It sounds interesting to me because I’m not a fan of the Kailh clickbar, plus the click not happening during the actuation even drove me mad so I gave up on clicky switches all together.

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to use a board full of Gateron CAP Golden Brown, and I do have my issues with them.

The tactile bump is fairly large at the top for a Brown, and the spring is weak at the top. So you end up having to press a fair bit more than MX Brown to clear the bump, and when you do, you quickly bottom-out.

I don’t think that this is especially conducive to ergonomic typing, and it is my main problem with the switch. As you point out, they are lubed-feeling and stable, so the core aspects of the design are okay. But I’m not sure about the bump aspect on the tactiles.

2 Likes

You dropped $275 to $430 on untested switches? :flushed:

Nah, 50 bucks (60 ish with shipping) I just bought one of each of their new switches (clickiez, their new tactile and new linear)

haha I thought you meant a full keyboard set (70-110 switches) for all three new switches.

When did you get your BOX switches?
I’ve got BOX Pinks last year, Jades couple of months ago and just got Whites, in all of them I can’t overcome the clickbar without having a keypress.
Sure it’s not adjacent to the actuation mechanism, but 99% of the time I don’t notice it, maybe in times I press repeatedly like rapid backspace, and it would sometimes reset and be pressed without flicking the clickbar.

The only reason I notice it is because I don’t bottom out when I type unless the switch is so tactile that I have to slam my finger to the bottom like box purples (which I hate).

So to your point about repeatedly hitting the backspace, there are times when I can see a keypress on the screen but don’t hear a click which is quite distracting to me (I’m probably one of the few people that this bothers) when using clickbar switches.

They’re patenting a design that isn’t even theirs? These look like Proworld switch clones.

They are a take off of the Pro World design with a bunch of changes according to Zeal. Not saying that warrants the price or patenting of them though.

oh my poor wallet. The things we do for science :joy:

4 Likes

To be clear, no country has a first-to-invent patent system any more so whether we like it or not prior invention has less-than-complete bearing on patentability.

But also: it is my understanding that Zeal is patenting the leaf design that allows for non-destructive alteration of the internal leaves to change the switch type, which is not necessarily a feature of ProWorld switches.

This is not to say “Yeah it’s great Zeal is patenting this!” but simply to attempt to clarify a few things.

6 Likes

I understand that there have been a lot of R&D on those switches, but 1.30$ GB and 2$ regular price per switch ???
That’s a pass for me unfortunately.

3 Likes

Chyros doing his thing. The way they go into tactile mode was a surprise to me & apparently the feature Zeal wants to patent.

13 Likes

Hmm so you can move it from Clicky to ultra tactile by where you place the leaf… I am thinking the leaf in the tactile “mode” is so close it can’t click any more?

I am assuming these are the two rails were the leaf can sit?

Really interesting. I was kind of hoping for a tactile bump similar to ALPS Browns, cause I would love to try something like that (that is readily available) but I sounds like this will be a big bump. More akin to HPs or something. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

What I had read from hearsay suggested that the tactile mod is very tactile, like BOX Royal or higher.

3 Likes

Ah, that makes more sense. So it is still possible it can be cloned by someone else again, just without the adjustable leaf feature.

1 Like