Constructive Thoughts: GMK Rocket - A Failure to Launch

On the contrary, I think that the cancellation of a GMK set is a big deal. Dozens and dozens of GMK sets this year with only a few sets not going all the way through? Once a set begins sales, it’s the norm in 2019 that in makes MOQ. So I think it’s interesting to take a look at the exceptions.

But with what you said in mind, I agree you made the right call to pull the GB early. Best wishes.

3 Likes

I think the discussion aspect of what does and doesn’t make a keyset succeed is important - but I do agree with @onefiftynine that this is making a very big deal of a not very big thing. Now if it fails again, that’s a big deal. But for now, I think it’s not only not a big deal but a good thing.

2 Likes

I believe keysets will be held to higher standards (colors, kits, compatibility, etc). Novelkeys and Dixie have worked their asses off to get to where they’re breaking 1k MOQs. Saturating the market prematurely can/will put a vendor into the red zone with back-to-back failed sets. We went from 12 (August), 9 (September), and now down to 6 (project sets) for October. I guess time will tell shrug

7 Likes

Pulling it earlier is a much better plan than betting on a dream, and I think it’s a much better thing to happen than letting a set run out. “Suspended GB” has a lot more intrigue than “Failed GB” to me.

And I think the set is growing on me… Do consider running it / a very similar colorway with JTK.

2 Likes

I have no horse in this race. I like both Huey and 159.

With that said…

This is one very skewed. As a lot of “bulk” of the conversation that occurs and renders are now shown off in Purple Chat, and Twitch sub channels on Top Clack and TaehaTypes, respectively… a lot of things have changed since you were last in there. So cherry picking keywords searches to post screenshots does not really reflect the whole picture. Unless you have kept your twitch subs you wouldn’t have seen that.

Another thing mentioned was that there weren’t enough renders. I wonder if you reached to the person that made the render. UB is pretty approachable and I’m sure they would have shared the number of renders they made and shared.

Another thing that is odd is comparing a fairly new vendor with Dixie which has been doing this full time for over a year, has delivered several keysets, and has honed they way promote. Not only that but has marketed on several streamers and other non keyboard content creators. I wonder how Dixie feels about being used in comparison?

A better comparison should have been Kingly Keys with GMK Fro.Yo. A new vendor with a set that struggled at first and looking at the number only pulled through in the last week or so.

Lastly, this does look a lot like punching down. A lot of this could have been communicated in a better, and with more information from many different places before posting many anecdotal evidence.

11 Likes

Set was pulled based on data.
Data shows it would have made MOQ but not strongly.
PKB made a good decision to pull and rework the set so it’s stronger.
ManofInterests suggests better marketing.
Everyone is right.
I like the set and will buy it, especially since it won’t be running the same month as 9009 and HBCP and a bajillion artisan raffles I happened to get good RNG for.
Let’s all hug and eat gyros.

10 Likes

I like me some good lamb gyros.

2 Likes

And then after we can have some popsicles

1 Like

Thanks for putting this together!