Custom "Alice-1800' style board

due to responses on the IC, the PCB will be manufactured to THIS KLE instead

Note that this is simply for the prototype phase.

1 Like

Sorry to bother you, but I’m new to this hobby (or is it an illness). If I would like to follow this project’s progress, would I just check back here? I’m interested to know where/when I will be able to purchase one of these and if this board will be hot-swappable.

1 Like

the PCB is still under fabrication and prototyping, I have no plans to make a hotswappable version.

I’m not sure if this is the thread to ask, but why would one prefer to have a board that’s not hot-swappable. I’m a newb, and trying my best to keep up with the ever changing switch game. With the cost of these boards wouldn’t one want to have something they can upgrade their switches onto easier? Is soldered better to get that “thock“ sound? Is fabricating hot-swappable boards more costly or difficult? I have so many questions. :expressionless:

big thread about the pros and cons of hotswap here:

2 Likes

Thank you

What do ppl do if they damage the keyboard’s PCB board when soldering or for any reason for that matter? Being that this is a custom keyboard layout, how does one get a replacement PCB board after the GB is over? I apologize in advance if this is a silly question.

If you mess up your own board, you’re SOL, unless there are still extras you can buy.

I’ve messed up my pcbs a few times but never so bad I couldn’t fix it. There are some good videos on YouTube about how to make a switch bridge

Thank you. I’m guessing then it’s probably a good idea to purchase an extra PCB board for these unique custom layouts.

Brah, that’s a tough pill to swallow especially since some of these custom keyboard housings cost +$400. That’s one expensive paper weight.

there’s hardly anything to most keyboard PCBs besides the microcontroller, unless you ESD that there is pretty much nothing you can break that isn’t fixable, and if it runs QMK you can always just replace the mcu. It’s not like you’re going to break the PCB in half or something, and a lot more boards are starting to include ESD protections these days (why anyone wouldn’t is a mystery, but there are lots of bad designs out there and it pays to do a lil homework before dropping big dollars on something).

1 Like

I wonder if this project will continue with IC and proto? Interested with the layout. Would like to see more spec on the board. Thanks

1 Like

the project is basically dead right now, none of the PCB designers I have talked with seem to have done any work on it, and I’ve kind of come around to the fact that the layout is unbalanced with the numpad, currently typing on an alice with a seperate numpad which is more aesthetically pleasing to me. if you want to design the PCB go for it.