Converting Rubber Dome membrane keyboards into Mechanical thread

8 Likes

4 Likes

Interesting. Was this manufactured by Cherry?

1 Like

No, Silitek. PCB manufactured by JLCPCB

1 Like

Really cool project. I own a quietkey and really like it. It’s the only rubber dome I’ve kept throughout the hobby. Did you cut the plate away from the top?

Share some more of your process! I’m sure we’d find it interesting. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Rev 2 of the PCB is coming soon. I will do a more detailed build log and process.

3 Likes

And possible sell the PCBS themselves if you have the confidence to perform the mod yourself.

3 Likes

Preparation for cutting:

Partially assembled PCB module:

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m goign to want to see that cutting process. That doesn’t look fun. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Oh, and I just realized it’s Alps compatible too. Nifty. Could do some SP Alps sets with that using cherry stabilizer. I guess the trick there would be getting the Alps switches soldered in straight without a plate. I remember someone making a jig to assist with that process at one point.

1 Like

I am working on ALPS plate designs for this keyboard.
These I-Rocks ALPS-like switches have a space for a jumper or diode inside so I can PCB mount them.

1 Like

Cutting in progress:

2 Likes

Do the two halves perfectly sandwich the PCB or do you have to add some gasket material to keep it tight?

A plastic sheet is added which I will show later.

1 Like

How PCB fits into top half:

6 Likes

5 Likes

I’ve changed the thread title as I’m expanding into other rubber dome keyboard models. Also since beginners have wanted to know how to convert rubber done keyboards into mechanical keyboards for a while to make this easier to find. Feel free to post your formerly rubberdome creations here too.

2 Likes

Do you know what would be really cool? A conversion of the HHKB Lite - that would be flipping amazing!

2 Likes

Sure. I’m not sure how I would deal with the nonstandard arrow keys though.

Matias is supposedly coming out with half width alps keycaps that might work great for this purpose. Unfortunately that would require a plate.

Of course one could always go bananas by doing a Alps > MX stem adapter and using those keycaps with MX PCB mount switches just for the arrow keys. Pure banannas.