Doubleshot MT3 Keycaps

Just came across this. MT3 profile with doubleshot legends. And that colorway is great.

https://matt3o.com/susuwatari-the-first-double-shot-set-on-mt3/

7 Likes

I want this.

Really cool. I got my first dev/tty set a week ago and I love it. Looking forward to some double shot caps

Only thing I am worried about is Massdrops commitment to quality and them being in control of creating the new molds.

Good points. The first /dev/tty didnā€™t go perfectly, but the second round went well (mostly). Of course, that was dye-sub PBT, and this will be an entirely new doubleshot ABS set, so Iā€™m imagining there will be quite a lot of issues even in the final product sold to customers ā€¦

With having doubleshot keycaps, hopefully we wonā€™t continue to be plagued with MT3s ā€˜mehā€™ dyesubbing. My worry is that the legends may still look a bit funky due to the scaling on the keycaps.

With a nice colourway I am in

I wonder how the scoop of each key will affect/distort the legends when double shot, or are they going to have to make the legends scooped as well. I foress quality issues that if worked out could make an amazing set

ooo this might just push me to get an MT3 set. This is nice.

Hmm. Quality issues are a definite worry. They had the same issues when doing the dye-subbing for MT3. A big part of the delay was working on the dye-subbing process for such scooped keycaps. I imagine working on the molds for the keycaps wonā€™t be easy either, but in theory they should be able to produce more consistent results.

Whether the consistency is a desirable quality is what we all need to worry about.

I still have high hopes about this. I like the sculpt of MT3, I just donā€™t like the current /dev/tty legends. At least for R1. Not sure if they were fixed for R2.

Doubleshot should technically be easier regardless of the scoop since you arenā€™t trying to place items on the scooped surface, you are literally injecting plastic to make the item. I am worried about MDā€™s consistent approached of finding the cheapest way to complete a project instead of the right way.

2 Likes

Legends look pretty damn good for R2 to me :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I really enjoy the MT3 profile and would definitely get in on this. PBT spacebar would be a good edition.

Agreed, especially the intricate curves of the tengwar :heart_eyes:

Iā€™m happy to hear that; I have some complains about my R1 legends, but fortunately I donā€™t look down when I type :stuck_out_tongue:

I just wish Massdrop would ship me my /dev/tty alreadyā€¦

The dyesub on my elvin caps are pretty amazing. But itā€™s kinda hard to judge since they arenā€™t Latin characters. The lines do look nice as crisp and not fat.

Iā€™d be worried about whether or not the caps would be smooth or textured. Textured ABS shine looks bad unless itā€™s VERY well worn.

1 Like

Yeah, to me itā€™s all about the feels. MT3 is separate from /dev/tty because the profile trumps the legends. I donā€™t look down ever, couldnā€™t care less, the print on top of the caps is purely ephemeral and best served for photo shoots, or whatever. I think of switches in much the same way, as in, I donā€™t care how it is achieved, so long as Iā€™m happy.

I know what I like, and I like this profile. Chances are, if you were to try it, youā€™d like it too. Blanks, Elven, Russian, what-the-fuck-ever, regular Roman Characters, Klingon. The profile is so great, you should absolutely try it and if you do, youā€™ll know.

Now that Iā€™ve broached the subject, I kind of want Klingon. But whatever, double-shot ABS is cool. Bring it.

And when I say ā€œyouā€ i mean anyone not you that does not have nor has tried the MT3 profile. Itā€™s really great, as Iā€™m sure youā€™ll agree.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree. I didnā€™t expect to enjoy the feel of MT3 as much as I do.

Klingon would be a cool legend set!

I am also a little concerned that ABS might not feel quite as nice on the fingertips as the lovely textured PBT :heart_eyes: I love my SA Godspeed, but I canā€™t deny the tactile pleasure of /dev/ttyā€™s PBT caps.

1 Like