Easing Into Linears

Have you tried those Sprit Extreme Slow II springs yet? They’re a lot of fun. They start out heavy (+3g) so end up feeling a bit more premium than lighter springs do, but when typing, they’re still super light and responsive. I went with the 55g which feel real close to a 63.5g at the top and 55g everywhere else.

2 Likes

No I have yet to try them, sounds like something I would like in lower weightings though! Gonna grab a couple packs & will let you know how I like them once I get them. :+1:

1 Like

With my clicky and tactile boards, I’ve been trying different keycaps to revive my sense of appreciation for them. So far SA profile is kinda working on tactiles for about an hour. A fling of sort.

So I got a bag of gateron yellow and tried them for a few days, they are surprisingly easy to get used to. I am still not sure if I will switch to linear eventually, but lighter spring is certainly the right direction for me. My previous experience was with stock ink black and NK silk black(I was using heavy tactile back then), so those are relatively heavy when bottoming out.

@ajoflo If I dive deeper into linear, I may eventually try those. Heavy on the top but otherwise the force curve is horizontal? I don’t get the physic behind it, but that sounds almost like a tactile switch except they did it with a spring. Very interesting stuff I would say.

2 Likes

Maybe not totally horizontal, but if I’m reading this product page correctly, its slope is one of the more gradual ones.

1 Like

Hmm yeah maybe feel is different from actual force. It probably still has a linear force curve with a positive slope. 3g heavier means that the Y-intercept is a bit higher.

This post by @Walkerstop explains that “slow curve” are just longer springs. Also found the Cannon Key’s Slow spring, coils at the center are closer to each other, not sure what that does to the force curve.

1 Like

I think Sprit Extreme Slow II springs are just long springs, like TX long springs. Heavy at top but gentler slope. Regular springs have steeper slope so feels heavier at the bottom than longs.

1 Like

I’ve gotten into longer springs lately and they’ve been a revelation for my linear switches. I was finding that heavier switches with a 67g+ bottom-out weight were just tiring to type on for long periods. My conundrum was that I didn’t like lighter linear switches because it was so easy to accidentally actuate one. Longer springs solved all of that. I swapped my Aqua Kings from 67g linear springs to 53g symmetric springs and they’ve become an absolute joy to type on. They feel heavier than the weighting would indicate because of how long they are providing such a flat force curve. For me, they’re the best of both worlds.

If you’re thinking of giving them a shot, I’d absolutely recommend it even if it’s just to try them out and tinker with.

4 Likes

My absolute sentiments exactly.

3 Likes

Just ordered some 53g and 58g symmetric long spring. Also waiting for some hypeglide cherry black :yum:

3 Likes

U all need to jump on the two-stage spring train to heaven!

2 Likes

Is there a force graph available for two-stage springs?

UPDATE: nvm. I found it one at Flashquark site. Interest. So same linear slope on downstroke then a sudden collapse in the middle of upstroke?

2 Likes

Force curves and finger feeling don’t go together :upside_down_face:

But I would say the 58g I got from Flashquark.com feels soft and nice downwards and upstroke is snappy like a 68g spring.

4 Likes

Those don’t happen to be from Kinetic Labs by any chance, do they? Reason I ask is those are the exact weights and spring type that I got from them.

I wanted a pretty big shift for my Aqua Kings so that’s what eventually steered me towards the 53g springs for them. I haven’t yet found a home for the 58s but I know that’s a matter of time. If that’s indeed what you picked up I think you’ll be really happy with both of them.

1 Like

Yeah, I ordered them from kinetic lab. Have been on gat yellow with stock springs lately and they still feel a bit heavy for long typing, so I swapped 55g TX long springs into my black ink last night. They feel alright but perhaps too light. Kinetic lab springs should have flatter force curve and feel heavier at the top, so I think its either 53g or 58g for me. 63.5g will just feel heavier than gat yellow I think.

I think the tighter-space coils at the center are either compressed first or last to help reduce spring crunch. And the symmetry keeps the force curve remains linear.

1 Like

So I have been typing on 53g two-stage springs (23mm) from kinetic lab for more than a week. I like them a lot since the first time I used them. But today I went back to try TX 55g medium springs, and I find myself surprisingly enjoying those as well. Normally I couldn’t stand typing on 55g medium springs: 1) too many typos, 2) bottom out too harsh. But today, I have neither of those problems. Somehow those two-stage springs have changed my hand muscle in a way that I no longer have problems typing on lightweight springs with standard length.

I wonder if anyone liked these two-stage/super long/extreme slow springs at first but ended up going back to use standard springs(14mm-16mm)?

1 Like

Maybe they should market it as “two-stage trainer/conditioner spring”. LOL.

3 Likes

Just received the AR87 with Cherry MX Blacks. I’ve been planning to desolder them and add Unholy U4s… but surprisingly the MX Blacks feel quite nice to type with. They aren’t too loud as well which is nicely welcomed. Will probably try using these MX Blacks for a bit

6 Likes

Looks great. Too bad AR87 doesn’t allow switches to be opened without desoldering because I think Cherry MX blacks are best when lubed, both feel and sound wise.