Easing Into Linears

I have a question for experienced enthusiasts here, does lube run off over time? I mean as running down from the stem/walls, for keyboards that are sitting unused for a while (several months perhaps?).

1 Like

One word answer is yes. But lube wears off so slowly and always leave behind residue that removing lube is more of a concern than lube wearing off.

But that shouldn’t stop you from relubing your favorite board if they don’t feel the same as you remember. If you feel the difference, it doesn’t really matter if the difference is real or not.

4 Likes

Still enjoying New Nixies. Going with poron film was the right decision. It nipped the edge off sharp New Nixie sound. Compared to recent switches, Nixies sound not just more solid but more playful than regular Cherry blacks. Of course, YMMV.

3 Likes

For my Nixies, I am actually playing around with lubing with two coats of RO-59 on the bottom housing rails and pole guide, 205g0 behind the leaves and on the top housing, and then 105g0 on the swapped out TX 57g long springs. I have these filmed with Deskey films and found that this mellows out the “poppiness” of the switch, without making the switch feel muddled.

Cure times are a PITA though…

2 Likes

Going to have to read up on RO-59. Thanks.

1 Like

Currently on sale at RingerKeys!

One 5ml bottle is good for hundreds of switches, the only downside is the overnight cure time between coats. Two to three coats seems to be the sweet spot…

Originally learned about it here.

4 Likes

Thanks for the link. Having something new to try is always good.

1 Like

Let us know how it goes, I got some R0-59 on hand but haven’t used it yet as like you said the process is pretty tedious.

Apparently there is an expiration date on it, so make sure it hasn’t been like a year since you picked it up.

From what I hear, it’s great in cream switches, and someone in the link I previously sent did a ro-59/205g0 combo on their Alpacas and fell in love…

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up mine is about 8 months old, so I better get on using it soon!

1 Like

I think no one likes doing this way

Black Lotus and Blue Sky

Found some keeb time t lube and use Durock Black Lotus linear and Aflion Blue Sky switches. Both sounded and felt in use as expected. While both sounded different in test settings, they sounded very similar in-use although, if pushed, I’d say Black Lotus sounded more playful while Blue Sky sounded more solid. Both were very smooth.

But I think Aflion Blue Sky has consistency issue. Aside from contact leaf issue and fix I posted about before, a handful of switches sounded mushy. I disassembled and reassembled several times to find the cause to no avail. Since I can’t pinpoint the cause, I can’t say with certainty but I can recommend Black Lotus over Blue Sky.

RO-59

Still in tip-toeing stage. Coated the stem and bottom housing of a New Nixie twice so far. No significant change in smoothness yet. What I did notice is that RO-59 seems to lower the pitch of switch sound. After two coat, it’s noticeably lower in pitch although it’s hard to say if the difference will remain after lubing 205g0 on top of RO-59.

WS Lube Station

I normally just lube switches on my workbench with parts all over the place but got the half-sized lube station for RO-59. I found it surprisingly more useful than I expected. Somehow, lubing time no longer feels long and boring. I didn’t track time so hard to say if it actually helped me lube faster but it felt faster at least.

My only complaint is that bottom of the part where stems is too thin, making it flappy which is not great since parts placed on it could be easily spilled. I tried placing a cardboard backing but failed bc masking tape would not stick to the surface. Going to try again later with a stronger tape.

4 Likes

I have a theory on why it’s happening, I can only guess oil or lube have gotten pooled in the bottom of the pole tube, try cleaning it with paper.

I know they come unlubed but this happened to me with a U4T pack I had a while back despite never lubing or even opening them.

3 Likes

Not all of them but some were indeed mushy bc of excess lube. Thx for the tip!

2 Likes

Forgive me for posting this question here, I didn’t want to create a new topic for this.

Is there a difference between [Hyperglide] Cherry MX Reds and MX Blacks beside the spring?

99% of everything related to Cherry is MX Blacks, every review and sound test, is it purely for the full black color scheme? heavy spring preference? or the MX Blacks are just better for some reason?

I wanted to try Cherry switches and I thought about getting the Reds because I’m fine with the weight, but I’m unsure.

1 Like

Is there a difference between [Hyperglide] Cherry MX Reds and MX Blacks beside the spring?

I have not tried Cherry Reds but I think they’re supposedly the same just with different springs although IMO different color and price should matter at least mentally.

1 Like

Just wanted to share that I’ve been enjoying the sound of Black Lotus linears in Brutal 60 with FR4 plate a lot lately. Gummy top-mount with more than usual room below PCB makes the switch sound poppy and joyful to type on.

Did you lube them? I really like my lubed ones as well. Very pleasing sound in the case I have them in. I agree, they are poppy. Kinda sounds like popcorn in a kettle\

But I do get the occasional chirp here and there. Haven’t heard back from divinikey on if there is a fixed version coming.

1 Like

Yup. I lubed them w/205g0 as usual. Definitely enjoyable poppy sound. Thanks for recommending it. Too bad it takes right case/plate combo to bring out the sound. Sounded just like Blue Sky linears in other cases.

I haven’t noticed any chirps. But then I lube rather thoroughly.

1 Like

I’ve used both HG blacks & HG reds, can confirm the only difference is the spring weighting. Swap the springs between two & they feel + sound the same with a different colored stem.

2 Likes