I’ve always been a fan of the Engineer SS-02 Solder Sucker, so I just picked up a Engineer SL-71 LED Flashlight Loupe Magnifier, because I’m in need of a lighted hand held magnifier. So far, I’m pretty impressed with it, and it’s not bad for $30.
- The body is made out of plastic.
- The magnification is 10x.
- The lenses can easily be removed for cleaning.
- There is a 0.5mm scale on the in side.
- It takes 2 C batteries (It came with 2 Toshiba batteries.)… I’m imagining. that they will last a while.
So far I like it. It’s a nice consolation to my normal desk magnifying light, that is currently stuck behind my monitor, due to a limited amount of space.
My only gripe, is that the battery compartment could be secured a little tighter. I don’t for see it coming off on it’s own, but it would be a little more reassuring if it clicked into place with a little more authority.
Here are a couple pics:
Note: for the second picture, I had to put the camera right up against the lens, so the light didn’t effect the camera’s ability to the focus.