Favorite switches and why?

For the browns i plan to try rndkbd’s “butter browns”. I worry that the tactility will be even less than normal browns, but i’ll give it a go.

1 Like

Been thinking about this question since this thread popped up & honestly I can’t say I have a single favorite switch. I definitely have favorite type, which would a very smooth & decently light (45g to 63.5g) linear. Which the more I try seems to hold across most switch types. MX, ALPS, Space Invaders, you name it. If a switch type has a linear option, it’s decently smooth, & not heavily weighted that’ll probably be the variant I prefer. Beyond that I’ve found that every last little thing of any particular build affects the end result. A switch you absolutely love in one build, you might completely hate in another.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, those Butter Browns! I saw the video of them on the FR4 plate on Youtube. Those would be the perfect mod for those Filco custom kits with FR4 plates and stuff. Imagine a Majestouch with FR4 plate, butter browns, and decent stabilizers.

1 Like

I have an obliterated75 with an fr4 plate. Next time i get some switches i think i know what i am going to get.

1 Like

My favorite are the Akko Lavender Purples, they’re not the best but I really like their light but punchy tactility and clack sound they make.

Edit: I do wish however they would have less or even no leaf ping, and i would gladly pay more for that.

1 Like

My current favorite right now is Boba U4T 68g (pearl top), but Box Jade is a very close second.

Somewhat contradictory, I find lighter switches to be more fatiguing than heavier ones. I think my natural typing style is to punch the keys, so with a light spring I end up bottoming out hard on every key (I tried some Gateron reds and they were exhausting). With the heavier spring, I bottom out far less frequently, so my fingers feel less fatigued.

2 Likes

Have you tried the Crystal or Midnight versions? Pretty much the same but with 5 pins and a different bottom housing material.

You’re The Man Now, Dog

2 Likes

They’re a bit heavier than the regular Jades, IIRC the last time I’ve seen the spec sheets the Crystal Navies specs were the same while the Jades were rated 75g bottom out, but both felt more tactile than their regular counterparts so they might also have thicker clickbar but I doubt it, that’s my experience with the samples I have at least.

Also the Crystal line sounds higher pitched and feel bit smoother.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the Crystal versions; they appear to be just a tad heavier, which I think I may like. Putting those on the list to try someday!

I keep writing Box Jade, but the Jade switches I have are the Midnight Jade switches that NovelKeys was selling for cheap a few months back. I mostly bought them because they were 5-pin instead of 3 and I have zero complaints about them.

Just need a carriage return to complete my setup lol

1 Like

That actually makes a lot of sense. I guess having with lighter switches you are subconsciously looking for the pressure feedback that is not there LOL.

I’m so behind the times on all the MX compatible switches out there - it’s very overwhelming.

That said, I would pick SMK Monterey White in the Apple IIGS keyboard as my absolute favorite. It’s a tactile switch with a rubber domey feel but very - organic and liquidity feeling. At least in the sample I owned.

These days I’m on Unicomp buckling springs - made (assembled) in Kentucky and it’s sound is like crushing beer cans. Very 'Murica.

3 Likes

That’s a good way to phrase it. In addition, the heavier springs bounce my fingers back to the top with a bit more emphasis so I don’t really need to raise them much.

I’ve bought Kailh Fried Egg just for fun, to match my Eggtama keycap. Can’t say it’s my favorite, but I am actually like them)

1 Like

I’m new to the hobby and here are the switches I’ve tried so far, ranked from favorite to least favorite. I should note that I have only tried these switches stock. I’m going to try lubing and filming them soon, and I suspect my opinion could change on some of them.

1 - Boba U4T clear top - Probably my favorite typing feel, but I don’t like the top out sound (too loud and high pitched)
1 - Durock T1 - Feel almost as good as the U4T, but have a much nicer top out sound IMO (not as loud and not high pitched)
3 - Durock Medium Tactile - Pretty nice. Sometimes I feel like I might prefer a slightly less tactile switch than the U4T and T1, but I go back and forth on that
4 - Durock Light Tactile - Not bad, but too little tactile feel for me
4 - Gateron Phantom Brown - About the same as the Durock Light Tactile
6 - Zealio V2 - Seems like a scratchier, louder, more expensive T1
7 - NK Blueberry - Good lord these are scratchy

? Boba U4T pearl top - Sample on the way
? SP Star Dark Magic Girl - Sample on the way

Any other switches I should try based on my preferences?

2 Likes

Since it looks like you prefer tactiles, I would try TTC bluish whites (and by extension TTC matrix if you can get your hands on them and prefer 4.0mm total travel). However, be warned they don’t sound nice unless you lube the top housing. The top out sound is similar to the way you describe U4Ts, which I also agree with how you characterized the sound and didn’t really use mind until I lubed the top housing.

And definite props to the the T1 clones and such. Kiwis are still one of my Fav switches. Tactility starts at the top, and not too high and sounds great.

3 Likes

I love the SP Star Magic Girl switches that I bought. For reference, I love T1’s and their clones as well. I second TTC Matrix-01 switches too, but it’s a totally different feel (very round and snappy like popping bubble wrap).

3 Likes