For those who switched from 100% or TKL to 65% or 60%: How was the adaptation? Do you miss something from a more "complete" layout?

dang that sounds like a lot when I could just use the mouse

This ^

When I’m writing, it’s more convenient to use keys to move around the cursor and make selections than to use a mouse. Even moving around my computer, I use Alfred and shortcuts 80-90% of the time. But, there are times when using a mouse is easier perhaps, I haven’t thought about it much recently.

1 Like

Those chords can become second nature / muscle memory while using the caret that has the exactly fitting resolution (per glyph) and is already at the user’s location of focus, while the mouse is almost too precise in that sense, and requires more mental load and finger control to get the cursor from wherever it was last, to move to between the correct glyphs, pixel perfect.

That said, I still do also use the mouse a lot. It’s nice to have options, and in this case the option to less frequently change the grip and posture of the right arm. The above description is slightly exaggerating due to the verbosity, but should still fairly illustrate why I wouldn’t want to use the mouse for that job all the time.

1 Like

Shortcuts like that only became heavily used when I started programming in college. Now it’s far quicker for me to execute those commands than reaching for the mouse.

It’s one of those things that it doesn’t make sense to start using until it becomes more of a nuisance to NOT use them.

These days I can go hours without using a mouse in my workflow because I’m so used to using the keyboard for everything.

1 Like

While you can still use a mouse, at least

hehe yeah I think for most people who are hooked on the 60% it is an acquired taste…but it’s a blissful marriage :stuck_out_tongue: It makes 65%s look kinda weird now…

Though I haven’t tried a full 60%, but I kinda agree with people above that the other keys on the bottom row just kinda becomes redundant after trying out HHKB layout. :smiley:

1 Like

My desk is 60cm in length - this means that every bit of space counts. I took the plunge to go from TKL to 60% by realizing:

• The main keys that I use on a daily basis are the alphas and arrows
  • Using FN + key for layers is pretty intuitive, especially for keys that aren’t as frequently used
  • I could permanently bind the right cluster (Shift-Win-Menu-Ctrl) as an arrow cluster. For VIM users, it can be helpful to bind Alt-Win-Menu-Ctrl as well

In other words, the 60% gave me all the functionality I needed, with the desk space savings and I could effectively ensure that every key was used on my keyboard. Not to mention the ability for less keycaps and switches :slight_smile:

1 Like

my first mechanical was a TKL, and I appreciated being able to keep my hands closer together.

This was mainly why I wanted to switch. I am smol. So I have short arm wing span. Playing on a full sized like the Corsair I had before was not comfy. That is also the reason I am still thinking of getting an anne pro 2 for gaming and modding it myself.

2 Likes

I love my Anne Pro 2, but in the two or three years since I first got it some good competition has become available; and I’m about to ramble about my favorite one of them.

The GK61xs is physically very similar and also includes Bluetooth like the AP2, but has the added benefit of coming with hot swap sockets and a modular plate that can support a split space bar.

The one real knock against the GK’s are their garbaggio software; it’s the kind you might want to uninstall once you have the keeb set up (which itself might cause some frustration) - the ObinsLab software is practically elegant in comparison.

The GK61xs (x = modular space option, updated case design; s = bluetooth) is around $70 barebones, so it’s cheaper but also doesn’t come with switches or caps. The AP2 is ready to roll right out of the box, and comes with caps that show all its functions on sub-legends. They aren’t the prettiest, but I remember them being above-average in terms of feel.

Neither use exactly the same mounts as the standard GH60 style, but both do enjoy some aftermarket support, and I know at least the GK can be converted to mount into a standard 60% case with a different plate - that’s what I’m typing on right now.

2 Likes

The GK64X/S actually looks like an ostensibly good compromise between a 60% and 65%…

2 Likes

Yea I did have the gk61 on mind tbh but the thing is it’s hard to get.
The Anne pro is at candykey.

Still hoping. I can find it at ama.
This month my budget is used on the GMk moonlight tho

1 Like

Switched from a full size to a TKL. I can’t live without function keys. And i also have a separate numpad, so technically i’m always on a full :grinning:

I’m a big fan of spaceFn + ijkl for arrows.
Home on U, End on O.
Also left Ctrl swapped with capslock.
With this i pretty much stay on the home row.

1 Like

I went through this a couple of years ago. I started working from home on a tiny desk shoved into the corner of my bedroom so 100% wasn’t ergonomic or reasonable any more. I migrated to a 65% and liked it, but ultimately realized that Fn + WASD for arrow keys did everything that my use case needs. Like some others have stated, that eventually migrated to the HHKB layout, which still to this day is my favorite. Of course it’s not for everyone but it works for me both functionally and aesthetically so it’s the final form factor for me, I think.

1 Like

100%->TKL->65%->60%->TKL

Can’t really use 60% because I need my nav cluster.
Arrows, delete, home/end and pgup/pgdn.
Keyboard is my tool and as such it should help my productivity flow, not complicate it (layers for nav).
Don’t really care too much about the F row.

65% is the minimum, can use it without any major issues (I just miss one key).

Waiting for my first 75% (KBD75 v3), just to test it out.
Also hoping for another round of Ikki68, looks like a fun layout.

But since I have Rama u80 on the way, TKL will most likely remain my daily driver (although I’ll start bitching about the lack of ISO support and will look for another high-end TKL soon, hehe)

1 Like

I only own one full-sized board I just realized. I thought I had more, but apparently I’ve fully converted to TKL.

I will, and do, use smaller boards as long as the layers are easy to remember. Right now I’m using a Realforce R2 TKL on my home computer and a Leopold FC660C on my work computer. The Leopold is about the perfect size for me, but for gaming I kind of prefer the TKL.

That said, I do miss a 10-key pad from time to time. When it comes to spreadsheetin’, those are really handy. I haven’t found an accessory one that fits my desk the way I’d like yet. Hopefully the gob of money I spent on a Realforce 23U will be worth it. :roll_eyes:

TKL :arrow_forward: 65% :arrow_forward: Done.

My first board was a TKL because I thought the bigger the better, and the 60%'s available on amazon… Whew, I’m glad I don’t have RGB vomiting on my desk 24/7.

So TKL to now a 65% was pretty easy because I really never needed the function row was a solid member of the Anti-Numpad Gang, so a compact layout with dedicated arrow keys? Sold.

I know for a fact that most of what I do will (general browsing, emails, yadayada) will be sufficient by a 65% most of the time. Really not into more compact than that, because then the function to compact ratio is almost comically low.

1 Like

Full keyboard for most of my pre-adult computering (as I assume most of us went through). I had a full size Razer Gaming keyboard, which I thought was the pinnacle. When I went Apple, I preferred full-size external Magic Keyboards.

My first TKL was Razer, which I guess was when I stepped on to the slippery slope downward!

My first custom was a Tofu 60. It was too small for me and while I could easily cope without dedicated arrows, the 65% called to me with just that little more room.

I never used the Functions keys. I’m a UX Designer and never needed the numpad. So, here I am.

65% or bust!

1 Like

I still use fullsize boards pretty regularly, mostly my southpaw fullsize but also occasionally my old Das II or Pingmaster. All of the other boards in my regular rotation are 60%. I don’t really have much of an issue switching between them, though if I’m playing a game that requires mouse/kb I typically bring the southpaw in.

I actually just got my first 65% and I’m not much of a fan tbh. Been looking for a TKL I’ll like but I haven’t settled on one yet (partially because my custom budget got all used up by the GOCF heavy grail).

1 Like

Echoing what a lot of others have said, the issue for me now is switching from HHKB to something else. Larger boards just feel like they contain so much unnecessary stuff now.

Be warned, once you fall for the HHKB, you don’t want to use anything else. And that opens up a whole new set of issues haha, for example, thinking some TKL is cool and wanting to use it, but when you get down to use it, finding that layout really inefficient.

The lack of arrow keys seems like way more of an issue than I’ve found it to be. On the HHKB, turn on Dip Switch #4 to give yourself a second fn key on the left side of the board, and you can use the arrow cluster on the fn layer without having to press 2 keys at the same time with the right hand. I found this to be a game changer. And the HHKB arrow keys in a diamond cluster is quite nice.

4 Likes