[GB] Fractal Keyboard GB ends tomorrow!

It’s been quite a while since I launched the Fractal groupbuy. Fractal is a budget 50% ortholinear keyboard that uses a Pro Micro as the controller.

So far, I’ve received 9 orders, so the GB will definitely proceed into production. I’ve decided to close the GB on Saturday, August 11 to help get most orders fulfilled by the end of August.

I’m having a bit of trouble with the 3d printing provider I chose. They have stopped responding to messages. This may delay the orders with the 3d printed middle layer, although the delay shouldn’t be too long. If anyone wants to 3d print the parts for the GB, pm me and we can work out a good price.

[GB] Fractal Keyboard Update 2

Can you provide a link to the GB? Please and thank you!

Thanks, I forgot to add a link to the post. I also forgot to add that the GB closes at 2:00 PM PST.

Thank you, @meniscus.

Also, @codingkiddotninja, are there any renders of what a finished build might look like? No worries if there aren’t, but I figure it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Thanks, both of you.

There aren’t, I didn’t think of getting any made.

I should be able to do some printing if you need me to. I don’t have a printing factory, but I’ve got a printer.

Thanks, I’ll pm you

No worries. Thank you for the quick response.

I’ve got some good news and bad news. I’ll start with the good news: I have received all of the parts except for the 3d printed middle layers and stabilizers. However, all of the bottom plates had major scuffs and scratches. I’ve been working on getting a refund. So far, the manufacturer has refunded me $20 less than it will cost to get a new set of bottom layers. I expect to get a full refund in a day or two. From there, I can place another order, which will take 3 days to be fabricated and 3-5 to arrive. The stabilizers should arrive in around 4 days. The 3D printed parts will take a bit longer, they will arrive in around 1.5-2 weeks. I didn’t expect this kind of delay for these parts. I wish I could send these kits out sooner but these delays are out of my control.

I’ll end this post with a picture of an assembled Fractal keyboard (using the scratched bottom):
20180828_090552

Any updates on this? I’m looking forward to this one. Got a set of box royals for royals for it.

Dang, I missed the GB and just learned about it!
Well good luck with the GB my dude!

Really cool project!

would have loved to get one of these with the 3d printed case, but no intl shipping?!? Any chance for a round two - maybe with an EU proxy?

Not yet, there is one coming soon though.

I might do a round two, it depends on the interest. It would be great if I could get an EU proxy, I’ll look into it.

So, I have some news regarding the GB.

I have all of the parts except the 3d printed pieces (which just shipped). However, there is one issue I’m having.

I used JLCPCB for the manufacturing of the circuit boards, and I have used them before. They have always had affordable prices and good quality. However, they seem to be having trouble with manufacturing the bottom layer. Here’s a picture of the part:

I had trouble capturing it, but you can see that there is a strange pattern on the piece, similar to a composition notebook. In addition to that, several of the parts have scuffs and scratches. When I got the order, I filed a quality complaint. JLCPCB said that “this may occured during the manufacturing proccess.” It took me a while to get a new set of bottom layers sent out, as I could only send one message per day due to them having a 15-hour time difference. Once I got them, I found that the new boards had the same pattern as the old ones. I’m currently trying to get a refund.

I have tried cleaning the part using both water and rubbing alcohol, but neither make a difference.

So, I’m not really sure where to go from here. I think I’ll try ordering them from another PCB manufacturer, but the only options that are around the same price range are Elecrow and AllPCB, both of which I have never used before. If you have, please let me know what they are like. However, I can’t order new boards until I get a refund from JLCPCB, which might take a while.

I will contact all customers shortly and ask if they will be OK with receiving the bottom piece with the strange pattern. If you have any thoughts on what to do, please let me know.

Personally I’m ok with it. I filled out the form and say send it on. Wonder if Brasso would work on it? Or is that too aggressive?

I have used allpcb a few times and the quality has been at least as good as jlcpcb.
If you use this link you will get a $20 coupon for their shop https://www.allpcb.com/setinvite.aspx?inviteid=26972&url=https://www.allpcb.com/ (I get the same coupon out of it)

So far, everyone who has responded to the form I emailed to all the customers has said they are ok with the part, although not everyone has responded. I’ll be going ahead with the bottom pieces I currently have, hand picking the best parts. I’ll have everything shipped out by the end of the week.