[GB] the Norbaforce Mark II

@ZoomBoy and @norbauer thank you for the information! It does sound nice in the video. I expect it to sound a little bit different with the stock keycaps that I’m using but still good.

@Alien I have both as well.

Just want to add that typing on the aluminium version feel slightly more stable, if I can describe it that way. And when you press down on keystroke there’s much less reverb than the polycarb version because of the weight of the aluminium one. I have my keyboards on a hardwood table without any pads so maybe with pads that will be a non-issue.

Not sure whether the PC in Ryan’s video has any internal dampening but mine does have the merino felt and the sound is a lot less clacky.

1 Like

Thanks @thelaughingman That was very helpful!
I also prefer the sound with the merino belt inside, I’m using it in the aluminium version and would use it in the PC version as well.

1 Like

@norbauer any chance the desert sand finish will show up in future projects (in light of the recent keycap announcement)

2 Likes

I’ve thought about it! We don’t see earth tones enough in keyboards.

5 Likes

For those who were asking about a 23u housing, I’ve launched that here.

6 Likes

Dang, looks like the polycarbs are gone as well. Truly the end of a beautiful era.

2 Likes

@norbauer! Just wondering will the mark II be making a comeback in the future? :slight_smile:

@gavingoh Not in the form of any large batches, but we will have several extras available in our Norbazaar event coming up this summer, which I’ll announce on my newsletter list.

Also, we should always be able to make bespoke ones. Our queue for bespoke orders is currently full but should open again up around mid-summer (we’ll announce that on the email list too).

8 Likes

Thank you! I will keep an eye out for it! :smiley:

1 Like

Hello! I’m unable to access the newsletter list since it requires permission, any chance you could add me to it? Thanks in advance! :innocent:

I’m happy to help, but you clarify what you mean by it requiring permission? I just went to the link and tested adding an address to it and it seems to work fine.

yeah, that’s right. The message says I do not have access to it and should contact an admin to add me as member. Thanks!

Wow. That’s really weird. Sorry about that. I’ll investigate what might be doing on, but in the meantime you can just shoot an email over to shop@norbauer.com and ask us to add you to the list manually.

I figured it out. It was just the link in that on specific Keebtalk post above, not the newsletter link in general. I updated it above, but this is the correct link.

All good! thanks a lot!

I was in a photo shooting mood yesterday.

Reimagine of the “Designs in time, future and past.” video in Ryan’s YT channel:

Work and fun together:

18 Likes

For those who have done this already, I have a Norbaforce with a PFU Limited R2 in it. I finally bought some custom keycaps (MT3).

I’m hoping for advice on the best Deskeys setup to use. I see they now offer their own gaskets and housings. Are these any good? Should I use my stock silencing rings or move to their offering?

PFU R2 is pre-silenced, so it uses purple sliders which have 0.5mm thick rings (the equivalent to Des #5), so you can keep them.

The housings are ok, but you already have 80-something functional Topre housings, so why waste more money?

1 Like

Their 2u housings (hopefully pre-drilled) are still TBD. Their 1u and 2u sliders are fine; spacebar stabs have been corrected. If you build right now you’ll need to drill the current 2u housings on your R2, source new ones to drill, or permanently modify whatever keycap you plan on mounting on the Topre-MX conversion.

Like windfall says you can stay with the stock silencing rings your board comes with or the Des #5 or any of their other thicknesses–the rings have been proven products. It’s just the 2u housings–you can drill them yourself or wait for Deskeys’ version.

For plate gaskets though, I recommend the 1u Aliexpress gaskets that come in several different materials. These will make the housings fit snugly within the plate. I don’t have experience with dome gaskets so I can’t speak to those.

1 Like