[GB] the Norbaforce Mark II

Couple of questions: Is late winter the same as later this year or are we talking the actual season of winter, lol. Also is there any limit on the Veracity or is it simply timed, ending October 26?

Well I found an RGB on Mechmarket so now I have to pick a colour. Super excited to join this GB!

Dome swapping seems like it might block the LEDs as a side effect.

I tediously snipped notches in all the 30g domes I swapped into my RGB R2.

Has anyone done a dome swap into an RGB R2 and not snipped notches for the LEDs? I’m curious if it completely blocks all the light.

Winter in my mind refers to the proper season itself. :slight_smile:

Up until the end of the GB, there is no limit on any finish.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve dome-swapped on an 87U but never a R2. Hopefully someone else has had experience with this and can offer his or her experience. My method for turning of the RGB LEDs is simply to use the key combination designed by Topre for that purpose (and which I don’t remember off the top of my head).

I used BKE domes on my full sized RGB and if I remember correctly, it didn’t block all the light. I dome swapped my RGB TKL and had to cut little notches as well.

1 Like

I’m silly, I hadn’t seen these messages about the RGB R2!

Have you guys tried the Novatouch/Norbatouch?
Could you explain the differences in feeling and sound between the Novatouch and Realforce RGB TKL? Is one of the two clearly superior to the other?

I just saw yesterday the Norbatouch was in stock and went for one, then a bit later I learnt about this group buy and the cherry compatible Realforce RGB in the video with Taeha Types! :man_facepalming: :smile:

What do you guys think about Norbatouch vs Norbaforce with RGB?
I do love the look of the Norbaforce, I might just need both of them… :joy:

Thanks!

@norbauer Do you have a recommendation for a finish to pair with Carbon or Skiidata? I’m thinking of going with Aperture.

Veracity Steel of course

Not that my opinion should be worth much, as it’s entirely subjective, but fwiw I think Aperture would be a good pairing with Carbon since it uses a medium gray as its darker color, while Skiidata looks like it might work best with Tactical since it’s dark color is more like a dark charcoal gray or black.

Also, yes, of course Veracity Steel goes with anything (though, sartorially speaking, it pairs especially well with deep pockets). Astonishingly, by the way, last I checked a couple of days ago Veracity Steel was the second or third most popular finish. :astonished:

1 Like

Just a quick update here on my proposed idea to swap the stabilizers (and sliders) from the R2 RGB into the 87U…
While I don’t have the R2 RGB on-hand just yet, I’m quite sure that (similar to the NovaTouch mod) you’ll have to file the LEFT CONTROL portion of the plate in order to properly secure the stabilizer housing (from the R2 RGB).

So, I’ve decided to play it safe to avoid imperfections. Instead, I’ve opted to perform the dome swap from the 87U (55g) into the R2 RGB in hopes of achieving that “87U feel.”

Besides, looking back on that idea now only makes me regret considering it in the first place. I would hate to do such a thing to the 87U (referring to filing the plate just to fit a housing).

Does that seem like a total cop-out?

Argh. Topre. It’s always one tiny little difference that blows up the whole thing. :expressionless: I so wish they would converge on more standard components and designs across their products.

1 Like

I mentioned this above, but I had to snip notches in all the domes to let the R2 LEDs shine through.

Annoyingly, the domes were in originally in sheets, but I couldn’t find a good way to punch holes without separating the sheets into individual domes. That makes it a lot more tedious.

After my first reassembly post dome swap, I had one single dome slightly out of place and had to take it apart and reassemble again.

I swear working on topre boards is much, much more annoying than just soldering a normal PCB…

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Norbauer’s work. Obviously I’m in for the GB, but help! I am struggling to finalise my pick.

I have a Black on Black FC660C in a Norbauer Royal Wrinkle Heavy-6 :smiley:. For the Norbaforce, I want to go light. I am going to track down an 87U or R2 in Ivory. The question is which finish to pair it with?

Varacity doesn’t do it for me (not the cost but the look, i’d definitely like the weight). I am between Aperture, VHS and K2 - probably in that order. Any views on which would work best with the Ivory?

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words and support @TGoo3e!

If you (or anybody) wants an all-steel housing in one of the powder-coat finishes, just let me know and I can arrange a bespoke item for that. I agree that Aperture and VHS are excellent finishes that would pair well with the ivory caps; it just depends on whether you want a dark or lighter look. I mildly prefer those two over K2 only because the two-tone textures are more interesting/unusual. I realize that doesn’t help though. :man_shrugging: :blush:

1 Like

You just had to go throw the Varacity bespoke finish option in there - bait that hook and reel it in! :laughing:

I am much more inclined towards Aperture and VHS due to their distinctiveness. I am now thinking VHS to provide a greater contrast to existing Heavy-6. One has to think of achieving a balance in the family photo!

3 Likes

Just curious, what are the top 3 finishes so far?

I think any of those would be great pairings with Milkshake!

5 Likes

i thought i was already settled on Veracity steel. now thinking about a powder-coated version :exploding_head:

1 Like