Going back to the "classics"

Also, here is an observation that only became evident to me as I’ve gotten very deep into the hobby. Also I should disclaim that this comment comes from a place of reverence and amazement, not elitism as I don’t own one of these and have never actually tried one, I’ve just used “clones” of these designs, and have learned over the years what makes a good typing experience IMO. Also I’m not trying to put other designers’ innovations down–I’m just saying for me personally:

The classic Korean community-designed boards like OTD really had it right. From physical design and dimensions, to looks, to pairing of case to switch characteristics like linear vs tactile, it’s crazy how they just knew how to engineer a superbly designed keyboard. The only thing they didn’t really get right until later was connectivity like USB but I suspect that was circumstantial.

Sometimes I just think to myself that the most highly loved keyboards out there or those that withstand the test of time end up being simple clones of something the OG Korean community produced years ago.

5 Likes

Would love to see remake of OTD boards.

3 Likes

As @windfall says, the Ghost Blacks are a little lighter than MX Clears, because of the absence of the tactile bump.

But it’s still a fairly heavy spring.

So you might be able to simulate it a little by using a lighter progressive spring, like 68 G or especially 72 G. I hear that the 72-78 G progressives start to approach the MX Clear spring curve. [Maybe other springs are better at this].

If MX Blues use 62 G springs, then all Cherry has to do is put them in the MX Clears to get Ergo Clears.

To get an intermediate weight linear, though, they’d have to use non-stock springs.

Someone was actually arranging a special custom run with Cherry, and looking for suggestions. I suggested putting mid-range TX springs in the MX Blacks. Could call them MX Yellow or Orange or something.

I’m pretty sure UTD boards were clones of the originals

2 Likes

yep

Not directly switch classics related but more springs, which is the good old 16mm long TX Long spring. There’s plenty of 18-22mm single stage and double/triple stage springs but the classic 16mm spring is I think still the perfect balance of preload between actuation weight to bottom out weight. Keeps that springy feel without making the switch entirely top heavy, which is nice for lighter spring weights.

1 Like

55g TX Longs are still the benchmark against which I measure everything. They’re everything I want in a spring.

62g TX Longs for me paired with a 67g TX Long in the spacebar. Spacebars are usually at least 5-7g heavier than a 1u alpha so it makes the spacebar nice and even feeling to the alphas instead of being too light.

pure chefs kiss here

1 Like

There are so many interesting opinions and comments in this thread.

I’d be very interested in hearing what is the best current take on the classic MX Black. Much as I enjoy other switches, I find that I type best on good old fashioned black switches.

1 Like