Group Buy Horror Stories

Gimme gimme gimme!

But seriously, from a business lens I’m picking up what you’re putting down. You do what you know, and in GMK’s case, they know keycaps and do it well. But, they’re leaving a ton of money on the table. Someone is going to hack their business model and end up being more annoying to them than spring crunch is to me.

2 Likes

If no one else is taking the money from the table (competition), then GMK won’t mind taking the money piecemeal bit by bit. It’s definitely a situation where competition could invigorate the market.

Unfortunately there hasn’t been any true competition to GMK. JTK still hasn’t upped their quality enough and no one else really stands up to GMK’s doubleshot ABS quality.

I think GMK is betting on no one entering their business model because it’s probably pretty expensive to start up a successful doubleshot keycap company, or expensive to get the quality up to their standards.

Hopefully someday we can see some meaningful competition.

2 Likes

Has there been any set where the neon colors came out as vibrant as they were in the renders? I think there is a constant expectations gap between what people think plastic can do and whats actually possible. I’ve just come to expect that any GMK set will be 10-20% less vibrant than the renders make it out to be.

1 Like

Good point.

Because vendors/designers crank their renders up to 11… :joy: And then turn around and put it back on us for trusting a render. It is the TKC strategy! They didn’t invent it, but they rely on it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

My opinion only but I was really impressed with how bright the GMK Night Runner yellow came out. The yellow legends really pop out of the black and blue

1 Like

LOL I was hoping for a R2 of this set sometime soon. I had no idea it doesn’t even exist yet.

1 Like

If I am starting a store today and went into this hobby full time, I’d not hesitate to order a large quantity of GMK BoW sets to stock. You can always mix and match with white alphas.

what I always wondered is like, with the numbers some of these storefronts put up they must have a lot of money moving through, i’d think maybe like omni-type or novelkeys could order say like 5000 or 10000 like 9009 or laser or nautlius or whatever and just buy them ahead of time and then sell them as like an in stock item or a drop or something, maybe price it a bit higher, but hey it ships tomorrow. That would require a lot of up-front capital, but I’m sure like they could easily get some seed funding to get the first round off the ground or loan or something since they already have such a large customer base already

3 Likes

I mean, they hardly invented it and they’re currently one of the only vendors that has switched to prototyping before the group buy and not using renders any more, but… okay

3 Likes

I looked into this just prior to the pandemic and have them manufactured in the US. A typical base set would cost around 100K for molds but at the end of the day, it would not make sense unless you owned the entire operation and have QA to a T. ROI wouldn’t be that bad IF this whole thing kept up even at pre-pandemic sales level. I think it’s just hard to gauge how much sales will fall off next year as discretionary spend goes into more traditional avenues such as travel and leisure.

1 Like

Who’s going to go the extra mile and create bioplastic keycaps? Once they wear they just become compost in your garden…

2 Likes

I just coat mine with shellac. Not worrying about shines.

I am being a little tongue and cheek, yes. They also went to the prototyping model AFTER the countless fuck ups. They have had more stuff go wrong than right. I think they deserve the shade.

1 Like

Speaking of in-stock GMK sets: Let’s see if there’s any truth in Dorp‘s announcement.

1 Like

MiTo said it could be two weeks to…

Let’s keep this thread to horror stories about group buys that have actually happened.

2 Likes

Sorry mate

1 Like

So the SKB board was definitely a mini horror story in terms of wait… but it looks like version 2 the HMKB line is also facing its own delays and potential production woes :grimacing:

1 Like

I heard the finish at the end was rough too. Someone was mentioning the board was not bad, but that was AFTER you cerakote it yourself.

1 Like

Just saw this on Reddit. Someone ordered an expensive kit in a foxlabs groupbuy and then this happened:

I’d be super pissed with foxlabs for doing this and probably just open a PayPal investigation

5 Likes