Group Buy Horror Stories

Otakeebs is shutting down with unfulfilled gbs
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/19f1oaj/otakeebs_the_vendor_is_shutting_down_with/

7 Likes

Looks like Matt3o’s PBS profile keycaps aren’t happening anytime soon then.

matt3o has been working with Keyreative on the PBS profile for a while, I don’t know when the manufacturer changed for it but it did :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

His last blog post about PBS mentioned KBM, and it’s been listed on KBM’s site ever since. So naturally I thought that’s what was happening. Anyway, good to know that he has been working with someone else.

GMK cancelled the unpaid sets mykeyboard.eu was not able to pay for
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1bzvmd8/gmk_statement_on_current_keycap_projects_handled/

9 Likes

That list… that’s just enormous. GMK should be keeping track of the number of GB’s vendors are taking on and possibly assign some risk mitigation strategies to that. I don’t know what “too many” actually is, but I think Mykeyboard.eu has made a good case for an upper limit.

6 Likes

76 sets! I just noticed this little cry for help at the bottom of the list on Oblotzky’s site:

5 Likes

Some of us have lost a lot of money at MKEU. It’s not only GMK sets, but everything. In my case, two EPBT sets, one SP SA set, and then 4 GMK sets, which I’ll never get.

4 Likes

Yeah, that sucks. I feel very fortunate that I only had a minor order issue with them, all things considered.

KEYGEM posted that the international group buy for Shark67 was in a limbo so they cancelled the orders and is refunding it (long boi screenshot)

4 Likes

Shity situation for sure, but it sounds like Keygem is doing the right thing. Nice to see such transparency from a vendor. Hope you guys all get your money back without issue!

5 Likes

Oof. That was the last keeb I was waiting on! Ordered mine through Vala - guess I need to reach out to them. Thanks for the heads-up!

1 Like

Vala still has it listed and seems to be taking orders on their site. Yikes.

2 Likes

Well that is NOT encouraging. I joined the group buy [edit: pre-order, actually] last September.

Will keep you folks posted on how Vala handles this.

2 Likes

Hopefully that’s just standard policy for normal orders or group buys and not situations where the project lead just absconds with the cash…

3 Likes

Yeah I would call this an extenuating situation for sure. Hope vala doesnt try to hide behind that!

2 Likes

My guess is that some vendors will try to wait it out a bit with “maybe they ship it eventually”

2 Likes

Vala got back to me regarding the Shark67, and it’s an encouraging response:

• Anyone who doesn’t get a board will indeed get a refund

• If you ordered it from Vala you might still get it though, as they got their shipment of Sharks - just in borked color quantitites

4 Likes

I’m impressed with how Oblo has outlined this and accounted for details.

Agree with subsequent comments regarding risk mitigation limit. The number of sets is staggering.

2 Likes