Has anyone every done a modified tray mount plateless build with a flex cut pcb?

Wondering because that’s exactly what I’m intending to do in the next couple of days, and it’d be useful if I could go off of what someone else has done. Also wondering if it adds a noticeable amount of flex over the same build with a normal pcb.

I have the materials to do that build. What is the modification?

I have a mekanisk type X I built with a flex cut PCB and a plastic plate that is so thin it hardly does anything and it’s very very flexy, it’s fun to type on but sounds pretty bad.

1 Like

Gondo was working a 60% PCB with relief/flex cuts made specifically for tray mount cases. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105867.50

1 Like

Update: I was gonna do this today but I wasn’t home when the package was supposed to be delivered so I’ll have it by tomorrow. I tested my wilba pcb and it’s noticeably very flexy on the alphas, just by flexing it with my hands. Can’t wait.

1 Like

Hmmm, I feel like a normal tray mount with a flex cut wouldn’t really make that big of a difference.

I think the only way to get the optimal amount of flex would be to remove the center posts (one between G&H, and one by the spacebar) in order to have more flex. Maybe even the ones by the tab and the pipe backslash might need to go as well :thinking:

Curious to hear how yours turns out!

2 Likes

I agree that it most likely won’t change the feel. However, it will probably effect the sound.

I really like the sound and feel of the Duck Raven for a tray mount. I think it’s because the center as well as bottom (near space bar) supports are removed.

2 Likes

Yeah, of course center posts removed. Thats what I mean by modified tray mount, idk if that’s the common term but yeah.

2 Likes

That’s how the type X is stock. I like mine, it’s pretty nice, but it don’t sound good without something in there to dampen the sound. The flex is wild, you can like see the nearby keys sink when you push one in. It’s definitely fun to type on.

1 Like

Update: I did the build. Flexy as hell. When you press an alpha key all the alphas flex with it, and the other keys stay in place for the most part. The number row does flex though too. It’s pretty awesome what I got for the price, now only if we can make a flex cut pcb that isn’t $60. That’d be the ultimate budget option. I used the $15 kbdfans plastic case and the quality is pretty badass for the price. I had to mod the case heavily though but it was worth it for sure.

3 Likes

what switches did you use?

tangerine v2s with 3204. tx films.

2 Likes