Have this happened to your before?

Definitely! I am using a top mount board for the first time, and I like how much cushion it has despite it being a brass plate. I would think with a PC or plastic material type of plates would make it even more pillowy kind of typing feel.

Too bad I missed out on the Rama Thermal when I just discovered this hobby, it has a leaf spring mount, and from proto-build it had an amazing flex to it which I think will make it really fun to type on.

2 Likes

Oh dear, sorry to hear that! What did you get $4k??? thatā€™s a lot of money!

Hope you can find your ideal keyboard soon! :slight_smile:

That does really suck to spend all that much just to be disappointed. I think youā€™d be much better off jumping on a high end kit that has a solder PCB. Those old ALPS keyboards are beasts that are very hard for modern KBs to live up to, I havent found anything quite as nice till I started going in on high end kits (non hotswap too).

Didnā€™t realize the Drop SHIFT had started shipping! I avoided getting one because a couple higher-end 1800s were coming through IC at the time (and I donā€™t like the floating keys low-profile design) but then I failed to get any of them :sweat_smile:

Yeah they had just a few for sale in late July in a rare sell off. I like full keyboards myself so I went for the 1800. I think $150 is a much better price for what you get. Aluminum is thin and doesnā€™t feel like Iā€™m cookin with steel.

Yeah, the two biggest acoustic issues with these Drop boards is the thin aluminum (Iā€™ve seen these ship bent) and the integrated plate. They really need case foam or dampening material to sound acceptable imo

Yes, totally feel this. I love my finished keyboard too much, everyday I find a reason to open my Window PC (using Linux full time on my laptop), spend at least 15 mins on monkey-type dot com just to listening to the sound of my board. Heck, in the morning before i go the work, just randomly typing on my keeb already boost my mood so much.

Seems like they will be using integrated plate for a long time seeing that they have released quite a lot of other case options. :frowning:

Haha! Which keyboard are you using now? Same here, I would just open up monkey type just to type stuff and it feels so good. My mind was like ā€œthis keyboard is totally worth itā€

My baby is the custom Volcano660, with Holy Panda. Fight tooth and nail for it :smile:. I love it soo much haha

1 Like

Currently feeling this way on my new 65%, though I havenā€™t found the perfect switches for it yet. I have Gateron Clears on it at the moment and while I do like the feel of them, theyā€™re a bit too light and I keep accidentally pressing keys I donā€™t mean to. While this does annoy me, it also makes me want to type on it more and try to get used to it.

I also tried it with Blues but they sounded horrible, which is a shame because I did like the way they feel.

But yeah, Iā€™m considering writing some bad sci-fi shorts just to enjoy my board.

1 Like

Oh man, volcano660 looks really hot!

You can try gat yellows! smooth and not too light.

1 Like

I keep hearing about Yellows. Iā€™ll have to give them a go.

I put lubed, filmed gat yellows in my first board (KBDFans DZ60) and itā€™s wonderful!

1 Like