[Help] Lubing MX Retooled Black Stems / Sprit Spring Noise

Hey everyone,

I’m wondering if there’s a difference in lubing the bottom-facing edges of a stem, which touch the bottom housing. I lubed these areas on my retooled blacks, but I’ve heard that this affects the sound. Is this the case, and if so, would there be a noticeable difference? Thanks.

Also, I bought a pack of 63.5g Sprit Springs off a redditor, but after lubing/swapping the stock Cherry springs out, they have a noticeable “spring” sound that happens throughout the keystroke. There is also a bit of scratchiness while pressing down, due to the spring. Is this a normal occurrence, and if not, would there be a way to solve this? The bottom-out clack is much louder as well, which is a good thing in my opinion. I’m just wondering if Sprit springs are supposed to be louder than stock Cherry ones.

Thank you!

1 Like

Lubing the bottom of the stem won’t cause any issues or changes in sound as long as you have a nice thin even coat on it. Although If you have over lubed the stem I could see the switch making some squishing noises when bottomed out. As far as the springs go, spring ping/crunch is very common with factory & aftermarket springs. The way to get rid of that is to lube them with a light oil. I personally use Krytox VPF1514 for them, but any light Krytox oil would do. I’ve also heard of people having good result with knife oil like Victorinox on springs, although I have never personally tried that. The easiest way to lube springs IME is to bag lube them. Just toss the springs in a small plastic baggie, add a few drops of the oil, & shake it till it looks like all the springs have a nice thin coating. They’ll be dead quiet after that! :+1:

3 Likes

All springs will ping, grind, crunch, etc. to some extent. Gold-plated springs moreso than plain stainless steel.

The easiest way to fix it is to lube the springs. Shake them up in a plastic tub (like a Tupperware container) with a few drops of some high-viscosity oil lubricant (Superlube oil, GPL 106 or 107, the unbranded stuff that Meckeyalpha sells, Victorinox knife oil).

Edit: you can use a thick grease as well. I haven’t tried the tub method on springs with a grease, but it should work. You can also paint spring ends with grease.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I have put the springs in a small bag and put some 3204 in the bag as well, then shook them until it was spread. I also lubed both the top and bottom faces of the spring as well prior to putting the switch together. I think that Tribosys 3204 might have been too thick.