Help me with my first full Custom GB board!

Forget the O-rings! They are useless (or harmful) on anything of fair quality (can rectify a cheap aliex board with blues maybe).
And I never heard about wobble issues on Inks, so you can skip films too imo. But at least they will not hurt the build.

3 Likes

1- So I can’t lube the springs with 105g0?
2- I have a few precision cutting sets for the job (medical orthopedic surgery equipment). Will do wonders for this.
3- Switch films have been decided!
4- O rings canceled. I checked as well. No… I hate the mushy bottom out.
5- Then time to find a few materials in the correct thickness and experiment! :100:

I was thinking that I probably wouldn’t like the mushy bottom out either… :thinking:
I think I will go grab some o rings right now as I type this and check on my switch tester.

EDIT: yeah no… Feels mushy to me. Skipping o rings.
Also the switch films are also a sort of experiment. I think they will make that tiny bit of difference in sound that will add to the plethora of stuff I have planned… So worth it!

Cool, let us know if the films would make a notable difference in your build.

2 Likes

I will, though you have a lot of wait for that answer :slightly_smiling_face:

If there is anything this hobby trains you to have, it’s the patience :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Yes, you absolutely can lube springs with 105g0. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

2 Likes

I can agree with that @gael

Oh no need to apologize, I just wanted to confirm @ggggggg
I will be getting the 5g 105 and 5g 205 set then, and using 205 for stabs, housing and stems, while 105 for springs and bandaid mod. I don’t mind using 205 for wires since I don’t really have many other builds for which I want to immediately save it up, and other build (thinking of a 6-8 key macro pad with rotary knob) will probably be later in the next year.

Just for anyone who might need the info here, Nasp replied over on the GeekHack thread.

2 mm thickness is what he suggests for the foam, with the plate being the best template, followed by cutouts for daughter board and the PCB RGB LEDs.
Foam between plate and pcb needs to be 4mm.

The dimensions for the board:
W-258.6 mm
H-19 mm
D-123.28 mm

I will make a much more thorough experimentation thread for this, but I investigated sound proofing materials a bit.

I was confused between nitrile rubber, EVA foam & Silicone rubber.
After some investigation:
Nitrile & Neoporene are pretty much useless for our application, considering they only dampen sound by the space they take and the price vs performance ratio here makes no sense since we have cheaper options that would perform far more superior.
EVA foam is the cheapest and the BEST option for reduction and absorbance of the frequencies we are concerned with on a keyboard.
Silicone rubber foam seems promising, but it still is more expensive than EVA with poorer performance.

I will do a EVA vs Silicone performance comparison when I get my board. Nitrile is pretty much out without a fight.

This might be better in another thread I forgot the name of.

But I was thinking about cheap and versatile sound dampening and got the idea to use the the tiny balls found in beanie bag’s or sometimes packing material.

U fill up all the empty space with it and the sound will have to bounce on allot of surface before it can escape.
:thinking:

Ah…good idea.
Those are EPS, Expanded polystyrene.

That sounds cool but whenever I handled those they stick to everything. Maybe someone that knows anything about electrostatic discharge can chime in, to me using a filler that carries static charges doesn’t sound safe. Or maybe ESD protection laughs in the face of styrofoam balls, I wouldn’t know.

Hmm, that’s true. But there is something similar made of some kind of fiber used for children crafting.

You definitely do not want to use ESP in your keyboard, the major reason being that the bead form especially isn’t as soft as we think and the air cells are inside the bead, so while it would reduce sound by taking space inside the keyboard inexpensively, the small balls aren’t ideal and they may even get into places you don’t want them in.

That’s only a problem if u try to compress them.

No I meant, if you leave them loose… They are gonna get everywhere… :joy:

That’s why they should be between the case and PCB. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh that reminds me…
I have seen foam placed between PCB and plate and between case and PCB.
Which one should I go for?
@ISOxSwap

In the end, I have closed my choices down to EVA foam or Silicone foam.

Recommend please?
I have been thinking of EVA for between the plate and PCB… And silicone foam for under the PCB.