HHKB Rebuild & Lubing Log & Guide

8 Likes

The sound after rebuild is fantastic. Nice work.

BTW, why you drilled holes on stab keys for mx sliders however switched back to topre sliders? Anything wrong with mx sliders?

So no one lubes the sliders or edges of the slider holes? My HHKB felt scratchy until I lubed the edges lightly with Cristo-Lube MCG 111.

1 Like

Very enjoyable to watch. Where did the HiPro keycaps come from?

2 different keyboards;
A majority of them came from a Justsystem Hipro keyboard (white version).
2 of the keycaps, the enter key and spacebar, came from a standard ANSI hipro keyboard.

1 Like

Nothing particularly wrong with MX sliders, I just didn’t need them in the build anymore once I got the hipro keycaps as those only work with topre stems

1 Like

I lubed just the inside of the housings on my 660C with VPF1514 when I did mine, since it was super smooth stock already. I mean when you think about it just lubing either the sliders or housings should result in a nice uniform thin coating on both after some break in use, well in theory it should at least… :thinking:

Was tempted to to try some MCG 129 on the housings when I recently swapped domes from BKE extremes to BKE heavies. Although I did really get super lucky on the plastic lottery with my 660C & all the keys are even smoother than originally now that it’s been broken in (well the stabs were super rattly when it was stock but some 3204 fixed that right up). So I’m still hesitant to use a heavier lube or mess with the sliders again at all in fear any changes will make it feel worse. Also I wasn’t really trying to have to pop all the sliders out & clean the 1514 off them + the housings, LOL! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Haha. I had similar terrible experience when I tried 3203 and it dripped onto HHKB PCB, disabling some keys. It didn’t improve the feel much either. But MCG 111 felt smoother, added little or no drag, and (more importantly) stayed in place.

Hey, I recently got into the HHKB and really dig the board and layout.

I like the plastic plate a lot, as it feels more silent and more dampening than steel/alu/brass plates.

What plate equivalent on the MX world do you guys think is close to HHKB bottom out ? Carbon / Policarb ?

1 Like

Waiting on my own hhkb in the post, first Topre, very excite. The video in the OP is over a year old, is that still the current meta? To me that looks like crazy amounts of lube but I haven’t tried anything less thick than 204 so maybe that’s why… I’m a bit apprehensive about the process because it seems like such a drag to dis- and reassemble the entire thing. But maybe there’s no shortcut to true oneness with cup rubber.

It’s still within the realm of current day meta; of course as I mentioned in the video it’s best to go with the amount of lube you like to use, so you could try to use less as well.

Ultimately it is a process to have to disassemble and reassemble the entire board and that process is unavoidable. Grab a drink, put on a relaxing album or chill podcast, and grind it out :+1:

1 Like

The one redeeming thing about the actual process of lubing is the sense of ownership I gain. That, and usually stuff sounds and feels more delicious afterwards.