I need help selecting my switches.

I am currently using Outemu Blues, and well… I want to upgrade, I am mostly a gamer, but I also type. Which brand and which switches would you recommend me to get?

Have you lubed them?

Switches are super subjective, what are you looking for in a switch? Do you want something clicky? linear? tactile? Smooth? heavy? light? shorter travel/actuation for gaming? I would tell you tealios are the best switch, but most people would not agree. It’s hard to make a recommendation without a bit of background on what you like.

3 Likes

I have been using this Outemu Blues for a while, and I have felt annoyed by their sound, and I don’t know if I like the tactile feeling anymore, so I am pretty sure that I just want a relatively quiet, linear, quick switch, that doesn’t actuate if I just lay down my hands.

1 Like

Sounds like u want a lubed Gateron Ink Yellows in my ears.
Or maybe a Kailh heavy pro.

1 Like

There are a lot options for that, how quiet are you thinking? I would look at inks, tealios, alpacas, or cherry blacks, box blacks, or if you want really quiet the silent version of any of those switches.

2 Likes

I would honestly encourage you to stay away from switches with reduced travel till you have tried them. They’re a pretty polarizing switch type that most either love or hate, not much middle ground with them. Outemu blues are full travel (4mm) switches & even without the click or tactile bump you will find “speed” switches very funny feeling at first.

2 Likes

Are u using a hotswap keyboard or u planning to build a new one?

The pro’s here need to correct me but ain’t the outemu hotswap-socket incompatible with MX-switches?

2 Likes

You are correct, Outemu’s hotswap system is only compatible with Outemu switches so this a great question for OP.

3 Likes

I am looking to buy a new board, and this board is hotswappable. So, I am just thinking about what switch I should get for when I get that board. Me telling you guys my current switch, is just for you guys to know what I am accustomed to.

1 Like

Got ya, personally my recommendation would be any JWK/Durock linear if you are planning on lubing them (you’ll also need to film these). The Alpacas, Tangerines, H1s, Mauves, the new JWK linear switches Novelkeys will be releasing soon, etc… They’re all very close in feel & sound to each other IME, so I would grab what is cheapest & easiest to get then mod them up. 62g has been my fav spring weight in them so far although you may want to go a little heavier like 67g since you’ll be coming from a switch with a tactile event you’re used to (that makes the switch feel heavier than the spring weighting).

I want it to be as loud as Cherry Reds, or maybe a little quiter.

1 Like

Does lubing really make that much of difference?
Since, this keyboard that I have, in the 4 years I’ve used it. I have not modded anything in it, so I don’t know if I feel that confident in lubing a switch, since I could screw something up.

2 Likes

Lubing definitely makes them smoother and feel nicer, but it is a lot of work and takes some practice. Imo inks and tealios and even retooled blacks to a lesser degree are nice without lubing, I would check out one of those if you don’t want to.

3 Likes

^This, I was thinking of a different thread I was replying to & thought you were gonna lube the switches.

2 Likes

No problem with that, I get it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I saw that the inks are out of stock, and further that I saw a review on the Gateron Ink’s suggesting that they were really similar to the Novelkeys creams, is that true? Since, they are also cheaper.

1 Like

Nah, Inks & Creams are nothing alike. Inks are (possibly were, I’ve heard the new batches are pretty scratchy TBH) pretty smooth stock & in the middle with sound signature (not high pitched & not low pitched). Then Creams are pretty damn scratchy stock (have to be broken in to achieve smoothness) & have a fairly deep pitched sound signature. Creams need to be lubed IMHO to feel half decent at first while Inks were able to be used stock & still feel decent. I have not tried any of the newest batches of Inks to be able to tell you how much truth there is to them being much scratchier now.

3 Likes

Dang I hadn’t heard that inks were scratchy now, that sucks. Those switches have had so many issues… I still have a bag of the ones where the leaves come out super easy

There’s always the option to bag lube. :wink:

I’d highly recommend getting a switch tester. If you think you like a switch, on the tester, pick up a 10 pack, and slot them all into the switch tester, in a 2x4 or 2x5 pattern and play with the switches for a while. act like your typing. It will help you get a better understanding on how the switches feel and if you actually like them. It’s also much cheaper, then buying a whole keyboard.

It will be a journey.

For example, this was my switch progression:
2011: Cherry MX Black (Steel Serries 7G)
2014: Cherry MX Clear (Poker 3)
2015: Cherry MX blue (Corsair Strafe RGB) which was my work keyboard.
2016: Cherry MX Green (Plank)
2016: 67 gram Zealios V1 (Ergodox Infinity)
2017: Cherry MX Black (IKBC f87)
2017: Romer G (G Pro Keyboard) This was the keyboard that I use at home for gaming because of the lighting profiles, but I’m far from being a fan of the switches.
2019: GK61 with hot swap sockets for switch testing. so far this board has seen Kailh Box White and Kailh Box Jade switches.
2020: 2x Tex Shinobi DIY keyboards with lubed 62g Zilents, that have replace my home and work keyboards.

3 Likes