[IC] GMK Darling - GB Details, Deskmats & RAMA Caps! - GB 1/27/20

Hello all,

Today I’d like to introduce you to a project that I’ve been gradually working on for the past year or so:

GMK Darling

Inspired by the character Zero Two from Darling in the Franxx, GMK Darling aims to bring her aesthetics straight to your keyboard
It’s taken a long while to get the colors dialed in, but they are quite close to – if not in – their final iteration now as far as I can take them with renders.
Hiragana sublegends may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but the use of icon mods hopefully prevents the set from becoming overcrowded.

The set also has its own website now: gmkdarling.moe

Updated 01/14/20:
Deskmats and RAMA X DARLING!

Groupbuy January 27th 2020 to Febuary 27th, 2020!
Pricing information is available further down the thread.

Also, there’s a new IC form which reflects the new changes!

Colorway

Updated 4/29/19: 7422C is now the alpha color as opposed to 691C, which was too grey.

GMK Darling utilizes three custom colors:

RAL 3020 as the alpha text color; a vivid red reminiscent of Zero Two’s horns

Pantone 7422C ; a pastel-pale pink which reflects Zero Two’s hair color, used for the alpha cap color and the legend color on the mods.

RAL 3003 as the mod cap color; a darker red similar to Zero Two’s dress uniform and darker parts of her flight suit

GMK WS1 for the white accents

Color pallete based on the colors’ hex values

Hey the sun finally came out! Here’s 7422C. Color balance/temperature for this picture is considerably better than the last one.

I do have some concern as to color matching and am unsure how GMK would handle dealing with both RAL and Pantone colors.
However, the RAL light pink (3015) was simply not light enough for this project.

KITS:

Base - “Darling”

Spacebars - “Clacksaur”

Extension Kit - “Parasite”

Novelties - “Partner”

Alphas kit - “Remnants”

Deskmats:

RAMA X DARLING:

GB Dates, Vendors, and Pricing

The groubuy for GMK Darling will commence January 27th, 2020 and conclude Febuary 27th, 2020 !

Novelkeys

Kit Price
Darling $120
Clacksaur $28
Parasite $48
Partner $50
Remnants $64

Mykeyboard.eu
Pricing for Mykeyboard.eu includes VAT.

Kit Price
Darling 134€
Clacksaur 30€
Parasite 52€
Partner 53€
Remnants 69€

Daily Clack

Kit Price
Darling A$199
Clacksaur A$47
Parasite A$100
Partner A$80
Remnants A$106

ZFrontier

|Kit|Price (CN)|Price (EN)|
| — | — | — | — |
|Darling 250|¥898|$148.00|
|Clacksaur 100|¥200|$29|
|Parasite 100|¥434|$63|
|Partner 250|¥350|$52|
|Remnants 100|¥466|$70|

More Renders

M60A by RAMA

Satisfaction 75 by Upas

Thermal by Wilbatech

HB-CP by Hineybush

If you’re interested, please consider filling out this Google Form! It will help me tune kits and figure out how best to go forward with this set.
(Same as the one linked at the start of the post)

A Discord server is now available for feedback and further discussion: Xer's Cozy Corner

SPECIAL THANKS TO:

Rensuya - massive help with design and feedback
Hisui Hyena - novelty artwork
Janglad - renders
Garret of Dixiemech - color picking/Pantone advice
All those who provided design feedback and encouragement:
Jae-3soteric, Pluto, Manofinterests, Quakemz, Soft, Tesletron, and many others.

If you’d like to show support for GMK Darling, feel free to use the forum signature banner below!

[url=https://www.keebtalk.com/t/ic-gmk-darling-updated-5-22-19-new-renders-new-feedback-form/5756/1][img width=402 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/kboT3wM.png[/img][/url]

Update History:

4/16/19 - IC First Posted
4/16/19 - 2.5u spacebar delet (as far as I know GMK doesn’t make those, oops)
4/29/19 - Changed main alpha color to 7422C, updated KLE for main kit, added novelty art preview to original post, added enter key to novelties
4/29/19 - Discord added
5/06/19 - New reference photo for 7422C
5/22/19 - RENDERS! Novelties forthcoming, added thanks section.
6/15/19 - Minor modifications to the planned base kit
8/15/19 - Added forum banner, extension, novelties, and spacebar renders, new feedback form
9/23/19 - Updated renders for all boards to reflect proper icons and arrows, cut mod color F-keys from extension, added base kit render, added alphas kit with render
10/15/19 - GB Dates announced! Pricing and vendor information posted.
1/14/20 - Deskmats and RAMA WORKS collaboration reveal

9 Likes

fuck yea im in

3 Likes

Looking good!

Such a pretty keyset! The colors remind me of SA Sunday Morning

love the colors! just think the set would work really well with ws1 alphas as well.

4 Likes

Yeah I love the alpha colour, I’m in!

I throw money at the screen, but nothing happens. :frowning:

Hey everyone, small incremental update here. Bigger updates to the main thread to come soon.

Artwork for novelties is well on the way to completion, the 1.5/1.25u, Enter, and one of the two styles of 1u R1 novelties are done.
I also received the Pantone chips for 7422C and 691C on Friday. Going forward I’ll be sticking with 7422C and will update the rest of the IC tomorrow to reflect this. 691C is close but is a bit too grey. Also, I might bring the color of the mods up a shade or two but I’ll determine that once I have daylight to work with.

If anyone has suggestions for services which can render the corrected hiragana legends please feel free to suggest them.

Here’s an image of the chips side by side under ~5500K lighting. I did what I could to adjust the whitepoint in GIMP, but I’ll take some better pictures tomorrow in the light of day. Picture was taken with a Galaxy Note 8. The 691C chip is a bit darker than this image suggests.

Cuwute set!

1 Like

IC has been updated with new color info and a few other things including novelty artwork previews

Looks awesome

Those colours have some massive uwu vibes, pretty stoked! The pantones look s o f t

1 Like

Rather significant update today:

• New renders by Janglad!
  • Sneak preview of novelties in the HB-CP render
  • Considering the addition of a 40% compat kit
  • Now that I have renders, I’m going to be approaching vendors. Ideally, aiming for Q4 2019 or Q1 2020

Also, I’ve put together another, much shorter form regarding novelties and a couple other things; please fill it out if you’re interested!

I’m actually really happy to hear that’s it’s going to be Q4 2019 or Q1 2020; I want this set and there’s so many coming out that my wallet is trembling in fear.

1 Like

I will buy ALL Keys!Looking forward to your update~

Project has moved into GB, will happen later this month:

http://gmkdarling.com/

1 Like

Hi, yes! Things have been super busy but I did plan to update this thread this week. It’s a considerable amount of work to convert text/images/formatting to Keebtalk’s forum system from Geekhack.

2 Likes

FYI now that you’ve updated the OP with GB info I think you may want to update the tag/category to GB