[IC-2] Paragon - 75% gasket mount w encoder | Updates, Renders, Protos Ordered

Paragon – A gasket mounted 75% keyboard with a rotary encoder

NOTE: This IC form is different than the original IC form. Please fill out the form if you are still interested in the Paragon!
IC-2 Form: IC Form 2
Join our Discord: here
Geekhack: here

Timeline Update
Prototypes have been ordered and should arrive by end of December-Early January, GB will hopefully commence in Q1 2021

PCB Features and Updates
Hotswap PCB: NO SOLDERING REQUIRED (encoder will be soldered directly by factory), supports ANSI
Soldering PCB: ANSI, ISO, Split-Spacebar, Split-Backspace, Stepped Capslock
QMK and Via Compatible, has ESD Protection
Uses ai03’s open-source Unified Daughterboard

Case Features and Updates
Case material: Aluminum, brass weight with PVD finish (featuring engraving of SF skyline, preliminary renders in our discord)
Plate: 3 mm; brass or aluminum featuring keebwerk plate analysis (separate ISO and ANSI plates offered)
Mounting System: Gasket Mount featuring revamped internals and keebwerk gaskets
Angle: 7 degrees
Case Colors: E-white, Black, & Deep Navy
Knob Materials/Colors: Brass PVD finish
Manufacturer: Keebwerk
Vendors: TBD, EU will be through either Keebwerk or Candykeys
Quantity: 450 (subject to change due to interest)
Weight: 3.3 kg or approximately 7.27 lbs as per our estimation
Price: The estimated price is being revised (should be favorable lower) and should be announced sometime in the next two weeks. Please ignore the original $400-700 price range as that was quoting a hard to machine board that has since been substantially reworked internally.

Renders of Updated Design featuring reworked gasket mount, screws, weight and usb port

Fresh Renders

Hotswap PCB

Soldering PCB

More Renders

IFK GRAEN courtesy of Keebwerk

GMK Space Cadet courtesy of Oblotzky

KAT Space Dust courtesy of PseudoLlama

GMK Calm Depths courtesy of Oblotzky

8 Likes

Been following this from GH and already did the IC. Definitely into this. Thanks for adjusting the knob!

2 Likes

Thanks! The knob height was one of the most requested changes along with hotswap. We just signed with keebwerk for the prototyping and manufacturing of the Paragon!

1 Like

I’ve never been into 75’s because they always looked awkward / forced / unresolved to me in terms of their layout.

Not so with this design. Not only does it look resolved and balanced, it’s beautiful.

No doubt, I really want one of these - and if it’s in my budget when the GB runs, I’m all over it.

3 Likes

I suddenly realized that I need a blue keeb to. :roll_eyes:
If the price is right u have to fight me for it!

1 Like

will there be an option for key instead of knob? knob is a useless gimmick imo. This looks pretty great otherwise, it’s got some U-80 vibes or something to it, in a nice way.

1 Like

This looks great. Will it be a limited qty GB?

1 Like

will there be an option for key instead of knob?

Probably not. Something we mentioned in the original IC post was how we were trying to limit the number of SKUs while supporting as many layouts as possible. A knobless option would require us to produce a separate top portion of the case. We personally like knobs as well and it was one of the focal points of our design.

Will it be a limited qty GB?

Keebwerk has made us aware of an optimal production quantity in terms of both pricing and turnaround time (~3 months). We haven’t decided the GB format but we personally dislike highly limited runs (e.g 50-200 board FCFS). The hope is to run something similar to the Think6.5v2 run which allows anyone to buy it within a limited time frame (might be just for a few hours or a day) but again this all depends on the level of interest. If the GB is limited, the quantity should be high but the availability will depend on the interest as well (IC numbers are currently a little over 1000 at the moment).

Thanks for the interest and feedback!

2 Likes

Yes please.

We’ve decided to cap the groupbuy due to concerns regarding manufacturing delays and qc’ing issues as detailed in the updated IC. Based on the current numbers, most people who are interested should still have a good shot at snagging a board

2 Likes

Thanks, we just got some more renders for the Paragon in black as well featuring KAT Space Dust (currently in IC) courtesy of Pseudoalpaca:

2 Likes

Did you abandon ISO? That last reddit update made it seem like u did. :thinking:

I believe that this is from the fourth line of the r/mk post in bold: ISO support will be available, but only on the solderable PCB. The hotswap PCB will NOT have ISO support.
I think the announcement/addition of a hotswap pcb without ISO is what confused a lot of people. The soldering PCB still supports all the layouts. We’ve also got more renders today in the updated post!

Ye I despise reddit…

Thanks, we’ve ordered the first prototype and the bord has been redesigned internally and on the bottom. Feel free to check out the new specs and renders and please fill out the new IC if you’re still interested!

2 Likes