[IC] the Heavy Grail: a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

I want to be inside that club so very very much.

1 Like

IC filled out. This was the excuse I was looking for to get a HHKB! Cheers :beers:

1 Like

This looks amazing. I’m just really sad that given the current situation I’ll probably just be able to enter an eventual R2. Will be looking forward to that moment. Amazing Work!

I second that!

What’s the difference between the Pro 2 / Pro 3 versions?

2 Likes

At least as far as my housing is concerned: just the size and positioning of the USB port, along with the locations of standoffs for the breakout PCB in the rear cover plate.

If you’re talking about the HHKBs themselves, the Pro 2 is the one that everybody owns and the Pro 3 is the one that you can currently buy. :laughing:

2 Likes

I am assuming by the HHKB Pro 3 Classic, that is just the Professional Classic with USB-C?

Thanks. I asked because I have a Pro 2 that I probably won’t want to put in (Hasu BT controller) and I’m trying to figure out the consequences of getting a 2/3 housing. I assume the 2 housing won’t fit a USB-C port if I were to mod one onto a Pro 2 daughterboard?

1 Like

Correct. The port size is different.

2 Likes

Yes, my understanding is that “classic” just means the USB/non-Bluetooth version.

1 Like

Ugh, looks beautiful. I recently acquired an HHKB Hybrid, and part of the reason I bought that model was because I knew you were not planning on offering support for the housing, so I would not be tempted (the other reason was to get a Type-S HHKB). But alas, here I am tempted anyway.

Just wondering, would your housing work if we don’t need the bluetooth functionality? As in, when migrating the HHKB into the housing, we could just somehow skip the battery bump, rendering it the same as a HHKB Classic?

Does anyone have a pro2 and a pro3? Are the controller PCBs the same size with the same standoff. I would like to get the pro3 housing then switch to an after market USB-C controller and use my pro2. Cause USB-C and stuff…

They are actually quite different, I’m sorry to say.

I haven’t tested whether the bluetooth transmission works (the case might interfere), but I think that it should be OK otherwise. The battery pack is just something that you can disconnect and not use. Otherwise, the bluetooth model uses the same breakout PCB as the Classic, just with some extra components soldered on. And I would imagine that if you do plug the board into USB that the battery pack isn’t needed.

1 Like

Ok thanks! If you are interested in testing it, I would be more than happy to lend a Hybrid to you via mail. :slight_smile:

I am guessing though that most of your customers will be using an HHKB Pro 2 though, given how many of those are in the wild. The Hybrid/Classic models are quite nice though, for anyone on the fence!

This is amazing. I can’t thank you enough for making the typing feel and sound as close as possible to the actual OEM product.

I would love to see that pink come to life hahahaha! I also hope that’s a finish in your future boards. I really love the pink that you have on your packaging!

This is a nice inclusion! The foam set up that I have in my case right now is not the prettiest looking.

I love this look a lot! The Poly-6 and Heavy-6 (and of course the soon to be released Heavy-9) have a gorgeous subtlety that I adore.

As always Ryan, you’ve taken the custom Topre game to a whole 'nother level! I will definitely be getting this one! Hope to see a Norbauer Pink or a retro refrigerator in the finishes!

1 Like

Now that you mention it, I’ve been considering including this finish.

18 Likes

I guess the Pro 2 version would not work with Hasu’s USB-C controller? I have that in my stock case Pro 2 and it works well. But if the size of the cutout or the thickness of the wall in your case are slightly different, it might be a problem, right?

1 Like

What a beauty. So in.

I think it looks great and will definitely jump in.

Although you say the pink won’t be on the Plate, I think a Deskmat in that colour with your logo in the bottom right would be a great add on for the GB!