[IC] wilba.tech Thermal - PREORDER NOW

That is what I am thinking the “leaf spring” mounting mechanism will be like also. Which I actually kinda hope we’re right about, cause I’ve thought about it since first seeing this thread. If you use the right material at the right thickness & just have a bow of it on either side of the bottom case (maybe more towards the middle than the edges). It could not only completely support both sides of the PCB while keeping it pushed up against the top housing, it would also give a wicked flexy & very cushioned typing experience!

1 Like

I don’t even go to smol keyboard school (or have the ability to solder) and I’m contemplating getting this boi just to see how the mounting feels :sob:

1 Like

I would say go for one if it really interests you. There are plenty of us in the community who would be more than willing to help you build the board yourself or build it for you once you get it! :smiley:

1 Like

You can see the plate in this photo and get somewhat of an idea of how it works:

3 Likes

I too am hoping a hotswap PCB board will come into existence and will likely pick up one if only because this feels like such a Star Wars Imperial style keyboard case design. I can novice solder, but these special one off kits always make me nervous of screwing something up and having to desolder, etc. Maybe with that month or so delay they came up with a hotswap PCB fingers crossed

Finally!

1 Like

I also appreciate a hotswap PCB, even though I’m good at soldering and desoldering… it has been incredibly convenient to use the M60-A PCB in the Thermal prototypes while I evaluated different switches. It is the same convenience I have had while using M60-A… and for a while, a KOYU PCB in a Keycult No.1/65.

So your post has made me think about what I want too, and what is feasible.

:thinking:

7 Likes

Another vote for hotswap WT60/65… and WT80 while you are at it. :wink:

The convenience is just killer and really extends the usefulness and life of the product. Easy to adopt the latest switch trends or to mix and match switches or springs to get the mods to feel juuuust right.

2 Likes

+1. Would love something in a HHKB layout with hotswap. I don’t know if that’d be feasible with the leaf spring mounting (does it matter?) but agreed about testing switch changes with low effort. I’d love to use this board for a very long time.

It’s up for sale!

Investigating the leaf spring mount a bit: the Keycult No. 2 Rev. 1 video talks about the new mechanism at this timestamp.

The plates on the Thermal look a bit different. You don’t see isolated “leaves.” Assuming that metal is still thin enough to allow for flex, though.

4 Likes

So the only default option is BEAM/silver for a plate. If you want a different color plate you have to order it as an extra. Wish we could just choose a color. Oh well. Cool stuff. Have to decide on layout.

1 Like

And it has hotswap baby~ <3
Edit: would be cool to be order individual cases for those who want say, Kuro and Halt as well (just not the extra plate + PCB) as well as the aforementioned being able to pick plate colors.

I’m very interested in that GB.
The fact that it got per key rbg is a big plus for me, I just wonder what type of layout I should take… Might go full…

Oh my, the hot swap PCB comes with split backspace, split R Shift, & a Tsangan bottom row! :eyes: Gonna have to think on this one, I usually prefer solderable PCBs especially in my higher end builds, but the HS PCB does have the layout I’d build it as… :thinking:

Yeah, the only thing stopping me from getting this thing is the price tag - the mere fact that I do not have that much liquid cash. Damn.

1 Like

Haha same :sweat_smile: 300 was my cut off. Gotta stay strong and reasonable now.

1 Like

This’ll be the second one that got away, after the Lumina. :’)

1 Like

I was leaning towards an e-white Polaris and GMK Vaporwave with summer board budget, but after seeing the design I’m instead redirecting that towards a moon Thermal and waiting for GMK Dracula. This board looks excellent.

Lumina was probably for the best though after the dumpster fire that seems to have been

I absolutely need renders of Dracula with all the thermal’s colors!

2 Likes