I'm bored and I enjoy discussing with the community so let's discuss about switches

@mgsickler has said that this was fixed in the production batch iirc

1 Like

Speaking of NovelKeys creams, anybody know when they are gonna come out? I’ve been checking the NK site every once in awhile & there still is no listing for them at all. Did I miss them possibly? There was a couple weeks there awhile back where I couldn’t keep up with the community news, but I figured there’d at least be a listing stating they’re sold out if they were released? While I’m not a huge linear fan the creams have really caught my attention & are a switch I definitely want to try out sooner than later.

I think they’re expected early February from the last post I saw from Mike.

To throw my 2 cents in, I like silent linears and smooth rounded tactile switches.
So far I think healios are the best in the first category although I haven’t lubed or mounted them yet. They already feel better than my cherry silent blacks.
As for the tactile switch I still haven’t encountered anything as nice as what I had in my first board I bought off MM which had lubed ergo clears. I’m hoping that once I get my hands on red panda and halo stems and the eventual holy panda from Massdrop that my opinion will change!

1 Like

Oh that’s cool didn’t know that.

Yeah the rubber on healios is harder on healios making them less mushy and nicer imo, ergo clears are always a solid switch and I’m still yet to try holy pandas/gsus/yok too.

I haven’t found a linear I like more than the classic Gateron Yellows. Anybody have thoughts on the use of Nylon housings in the new Linjär switches?

Gateron yellows are good value linears but they’re a bit too wobbly and high pitched imo. The Linjar switches look pretty cool I’m definitely going to be keeping an eye on those.

Just so you know, that was fixed by using a plastic that has PTFE basically embedded in the plastic.

Good to know, thanks!

Interesting so the housings aren’t full POM anymore then

Not really. They are still POM. They just have an additive to them. Like how ABS is still ABS even though it has fire retardants in it.

Oh gotcha

I’m a linear guy. I really used to like tactile until I got a board with Vintage Blacks.

Zeal’s claim that his V2’s are better than Holy’s is completely false IMO. I have V2 67g and 78g sitting next to some Holy Gsus right now. Holy’s are by far better than V2’s in the length of the bump and overall quality of a housing material that is used. If you like Tactile switches then Holy Gsus/Pandas are still the reigning champion without a doubt. I also have a soft spot for Ergo Clears still…

My favorite Linear at the moment are Tangerines… I have a spring swapped Milky Tangerine and they are really nice. Also Retooled Blacks are nice too… I did a 65g spring swap with mine and they feel great. Im a big fan of anything that has milky gateron housing for linears. I was actually thinking about using my tangerine tops and putting them on my retooled blacks.

1 Like

I think vintage blacks suck us all into the linear life man, yeah I’m not a huge fan on transparent switch housing I like the sound opaque housings offer more but in the sound tests I’ve heard of zeals v2 switches the housings sound surprisingly good honestly. I know topre will always be my end game tactile switch so I mainly buy linears when I buy mx now but still do enjoy the different tactility mx switches offer every once in a while.

I feel like retooled blacks work really well as a canvas to try out different lubes since it’s pretty hard to screw up retooled blacks.

I also think that is what makes them the vanilla ice cream of switches. They’re pretty plain on their own and the best you can do is spruce it up a bit with some toppings (lube & spring swap), but it will always have this plain essence that you can’t really go wrong with.

Personally I like the NK creams I have quite a bit and are definitely looking forward to picking more up to do more builds with them. I think they accomplish the same feat as retooled blacks but are overall a more fun canvas to work on with lubes and spring swaps.

I also gotta give a shoutout to gat linears for being an all around delight. Hmu with that milky housing on a black bottom for a nice rounded sound.

2 Likes

Modded blacks are just a really clean feeling switch to me if I had to describe them in words. I do want to try some NK creams, how do POM housing sound compared to Nylon housings?

Hey Huey how is the wobble on creams in comparison to retooled blacks anyways? Wobble is one of the few things I compare when comparing linears quality.

Hmm from what I remember on the top of my head they’re about equal? I’d have to take the switches out to refresh my memory; I’ll try to test them out for you tonight or tomorrow.

Much appreciated, I look forward to your reply.

I ordered some Holy Pandas from Massdrop