Joint Input Club & Kono Store Statement — Box Switches & Aftermarket ABS Keycaps

I backed through Kickstarter; is it still possible to cancel through Kickstarter or do I have to go through IC/Kono store? How do I cancel at this point? Really just disappointed with the constant excuses for not doing the right thing for the customer and want to have my money back.

1 Like

The box switches should work fine with the DSA Groove?

Please contact support@kono.store to work out cancellations. Use your Kickstarter email so that I can look you up — I handle nearly all support tickets.

I’m going to toss some facts out there. Make what you will of them.

Basically everyone at Kono and Input Club left higher-paying jobs (or are flat-out donating their time until we can afford to pay them something, or working ridiculous after-hours part time) to do cool things with keyboards. Most of us are taking a personal financial hit to make these products as well. Team member investments (there aren’t many of us) and family loans were involved in getting us off the ground. I don’t know exactly where every cent goes, as I’m not the accountant, but I know that much with certainty.

So, before you say that we’re a profits-first organization, consider that some of us would be making six figures a year working elsewhere. Guaranteed. Sane hours and a lighter workload as well. We’re basically here because we love keyboards and desk-tech more than money. Our number crunchers are simply a semi-effective sanity check on our ambitions (though they like keyboards a lot too). Gotta keep the lights on.

When we make a profit it gets rolled right back over into more keyboards, sourcing, or R&D. Any growth we have that increases our operating costs? It lets us get more awesome keyboards (and maybe some other stuff) to the community and the public at large. Our miscellaneous expenditures, like advertising, are fractional. I know this because I’m involved with marketing.

So, if you think we’re profit mongers, you’re entitled to that opinion. We’ll just keep doing the best we can. Pre-retooling Box switches (alongside refunds, switch swaps, compatibility notes, and other due diligence line items) are the best we can do for this Kira production run. @donutcat has a lot right.

This is all coming from a guy who dedicated an entire topic to roasting the K-Type. -shrugs- If I could, I would have constructive conversations with every single dissatisfied community member. Which is probably why management stuck me in support. :thinking:

Full disclosure: I didn’t make much at my last job (English degree != high income), so working for Kono full time is more of a sidegrade in pay and an upgrade in job satisfaction for me. Not a huge downgrade in pay like it is for most of the team.

4 Likes

We won’t have a statement on that until we test Mystery with pre-retooling Box switches, and even then it will be hard to get definitive data. (Mystery and Groove come from the same manufacturer if I’m remembering correctly.)

We also haven’t had any issues with pre-retooling box switches and other aftermarket cap sets during internal testing. At least not yet — we’re still measuring and testing. With that in mind, your results may vary.

Off-topic, but would you have a link handy for this topic? :eyes::eyes::eyes:

After working at Kono for a bit, and seeing what actually goes into something like the K-Type (along with the pricing and supply chain for everything), a lot of my criticisms don’t stand the test of time / knowledge.

https://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/k-type-skepticism-t16598.html

For some reason they hired me after that mess. Hah.

1 Like