Kailh Polia - New expensive tactile switch

Damn I kinda was going to hope that this might have been the halo version of the hako violet just because why not.

Small tactility is on the rise, come on Kailh.

2 Likes

Just preordered from Drop. As someone who likes the feel of trues and clears, I’m looking forward to these. I’m not really a fan of overly tactile switches. In fact, I’ve sort of come to hate my box royals :confused:

1 Like

I had the same reaction to box royals. I thought it would be more of a tactile box form of zeal/HP with the large round bump. Instead they felt very “binary”. I did lube the tactile bump and it seemed to significantly reduced that binary feeling but I still wouldn’t call it a go to switch compared to my others (Kiwi, Moya Blacks, Bobas, Zeals)

1 Like

Yep. Even after lubing, every keystroke felt like falling off a cliff.

1 Like

=IF(tactilepeak=“achieved”,falloffacliff,keeprising)

This is what it sounds like I’m hearing

I’m half shocked, half completely unsurprised that Drop are selling these.

On one hand, I find it quite amusing they don’t seem to realize this is a recolor of their “own” Halo switch, and more amusing still that they’re simply parroting Kailh’s marketing instead of trying and describing it themselves. Just one more example of Drop not knowing much about the products they sell.

I can tell you from first hand experience, Polias feel nothing like Holy Pandas - but they’re extremely similar to Halo Clears - just a bit lighter. What does feel like a Holy Panda is when you put the “Polia” stem in a Panda - since it’s (as far as I can tell) completely identical to a Halo stem, you just get a differently-colored Holy Panda - which I’ve decided to call the Poli Panda, purely for my own amusement.

Edit: Hey, at least the price is more where it should be. @deshipu pointed out the price on AliExpress was so high only because it included the shipping - still, said shipping was pretty steep - if you’re of a mind to try these, I guess Drop is a fine enough place to snag them.

Good to know. May drop some medium progressives in there and see how that feels.

I found an ebay vendor with them if you want to avoid dorp

ebay vendor: crystal_key_store

3 Likes

For those who have experience with Ergo Clears, how would you say this switch compares to MX Clear with a lighter spring?

This thought floated through my head a few days ago and I just happened to remember now; while I can’t say I mind Drop being side-stepped with these halos-with-lighter-springs switches, what about Input Club?

I know Drop still has to pay them a license fee for each Halo sold - but I can’t imagine they’re getting that for Polias. I dunno - what do you guys think? If the Polia stem is indeed a straight-up re-colored Halo stem (and I genuinely believe it is), should I:C be getting fees for that? I lean towards “yes” but I’m no expert here and am mostly going on my personal moral compass. Do I think they ever will? Very probably not.

I like the Polias (and their stems), and wouldn’t mind if they stuck around - but they do seem to occupy a strange position. I also couldn’t help but notice they never showed up on NovelKeys - I wonder whether nor not that’s totally unrelated.

Yeah, I keep waiting and not seeing them. Major bummer, but the point you bring up about I:C is fair: perhaps in a more-just world Kailh would be giving them a cut of these sales.

1 Like

Novelkeys is now stocking these.

3 Likes

Novelkeys version seems to be slightly different than the original listing from what I remember. I believe the first ones were 3 pin versions but these are 5 pin. Also I might be wrong on this next part but I thought the originals were 62-67g bottom out but these are listed as 75g bottom out on novelkeys. Interesting.

3 Likes

Hmmm interesting. I still haven’t tried these. NK claims there are Kailh’s response to the Holy Panda. Anyone here want to verify that claim?

2 Likes

Just checked drops sold through listing for the switch and they show pictures of a 3 pin version for sure. They also list it as 67g bottom out so that confirms it I guess. Maybe the reason that NK took so long to get the polias is due to a preference for 5 pin switches.

2 Likes

Well - I haven’t tried the NK version, but the same claim was made about the Dorp / AliExpress version.

To me, they feel nothing like Holy Pandas - until you take the stem out and put it in a Panda housing. Before that, they’re much more similar to Halo Clears.

That said, I’ll be picking up a few of these to compare with the Dorp / AliExpress version and Halos.

Edit: here are some photos comparing a Halo True and first Polia version stem.

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

Then again… if it means I can get a Halo Clear(ish) switch without actually buying Dorp Halo Clears… that’s still a win in my book

4 Likes

This. I was thinking the same thing.

2 Likes

appreciate the in depth review bro, i was looking to get these and i currently have some halo clears but after your review i think i might just get some lighter springs and replace them in the clears bc that is my main gripe with these. saved me some money

3 Likes

Please let us know how that goes. Halo Clears could be good, but I find them heavy as well. Although that might have been Hako Clears I tested, can’t remember now.