Kumo: psyched or nah?

Does the kumo support different layouts? It seems like it, but there doesn’t seem to be multiple pictured.

Yes it supports multiple layouts, due to QMK and in some pictures of the PCB you can see that the bottom row has a lot of hotswap modules, and looks a little like swiss cheese. You can also notice in the marketing materials that the number of keycaps provided is larger than the number of keys used in the primary layout. I’ve also counted the extra keys used in the two recommended minivan layouts they list on their website, and it comes out to the same amount of keys you would need to provide in the box to give the option. Also it comes with extra switches. Also it comes with 3 indicator lights which I can only assume is for Evans layout that has like 4 different layer keys with 3 of those being separate layers, while I think the advertised layout that comes with arrow keys only has 1 layer.

Also found this post showing the layout from his instagram.

Thanks, looks like there’s only two choices for the bottom row, and only on the right side. Too bad it’s not more standard, that’s the one thing I don’t like about the Minivan/Kumo.

the Kumo MiniVan supports all existing MiniVan layouts with has two variations of the left side and two variations on the right side.

Oh awesome! I checked out the layouts for the minivan, and it’s more appealing now. Seriously considering if I can afford picking one up now. Too bad it probably won’t hit the stretch goal for the case.

Congrats on the Kickstarter being funded :confetti_ball:

1 Like

And it actually looks like the stretch goal is a possibility now! Every day seems to be getting $2k, and there will probably be a spike within the last two days of people who have been waiting.

agreed. i like seeing more high-quality boards that are friendly to people who are either new to the hobby or dont want to learn to solder.

I’m hyped for it. I love my minivan, but it has switches I no longer love in it. I initially got it to be a fun interesting novelty piece, but it ended but becoming my main board at work. I can’t wait to have a hotswapable one so I can have a board I already know I love using that can adapt to my changing switch preferences for years to come.

I thought the split space would be weird, but now full size space bars irk me a bit. So much wasted space.

1 Like

Just backed it.

1 Like

I have been using my Kumo for a while now and I wanted to switch the layout to have Southpaw and arrows, as opposed to just arrows. Does the kit come with enough keycaps to support that layout? I am short 2x 1U caps and was wondering if that is an issue with my kit specifically or is that something that everyone is seeing. Do I need to use different caps to support the new layout?

southpaw + arrow was not supported by the keycap set included

Okay, Thanks! :+1: