Lubing Cream switches

I just lubed the housing, stems and swapped springs with a thin coat of 205g0 and it made a noticeable difference. Most of the scratchiness that was in the stock switches is gone and there’s a wonderful deep thocky sound.

I was surprised it made such a big difference as lubing a previous set of very scratchy retooled blacks that I used to have didn’t really make that much of an impact.

Same, lubed everything with 205g0. Been using them for probably a few weeks now and I think it’s fantastic.

Running Creams lubed with 205g0 and I love them. I watched the video about the PTFE powder, and if you’re into that level of modding then try it out. It seemed like way too much work for me with all the cleaning required.

1 Like

I worry that if I use 205g0, I’ll apply too much, or that it won’t last, because of the issues that the creams have had previously with retaining the lube.

I dont have any 205g0 for reference but might get it. @Rob27shred If the results are similar i think the super lube is just great value.

One last question : do yall use switchfilms on these? Are there pom switch films out there?

The top housings were noticably loose on my Creams, so I used Kin switch films. Sadly, they’re not POM though.

So is it worth it to use stuff like 205 of 3204 on these? I worry about it wearing off, because of the POM housings.

I think its fair to say that lubing improves every switch. Which lube in the end is the best is in large parts personal preference. So basically you have to try it for yourself is my take. Sound tests can also give you a push in the direction you like.

I just used 205g0 on creams and they’re fantastic feeling since. No signs of disappearing lube yet.

I’ve got some 206g0 that I’m going to try on a few test creams in the coming days, I’ll submit a sound sample of them versus using 205g2 mixed with 105 (TX mix).

This is relevant to Creams - I figured that using TTC Gold tops completely eliminates the stick-slip and the top creak, but it does take a hit in the sound category. Bummer.

1 Like

Yeah polycard housings are smooth AF, but they do not have the best sound signature. That’s why I like Chellows so much, you pretty much get all of the Gateron smoothness with the sound of a Cherry top out. Maybe try Cherry tops?

My big issue with Creams is always the “stick slip” i.e. the feeling of sneakers on a gymnasium floor, or rubbing your hand over leather. In newer batches it’s not that bad, but still annoying on slow and off-center presses.

What’s weird is that it persists after lubing, and sometimes even gets worse. I noticed that lubing with any kind of oil, including Krytox, seems to make the stick-slip unbearable and noticeable even during regular typing. And even thick grease like 205g0 doesn’t seem to mask it at all.

The only lubes I’ve found that actually cover up the stick-slip are:

• Krytox grade 2 grease, in my case GPL 204
  • PTFE powder, in my case applied by dissolving in 90% isopropyl alcohol and letting it dry

A lot of people don’t seem to care about the stick-slip, and I don’t care that much either. But sometimes even during regular typing I notice a weird “hiccup” while pressing the switch down, and I’m pretty sure it’s the stick-slip kicking in. This phenomenon happens on my 3204-lubed creams, which have a very light coat. Maybe the problem would be reduced with at thicker coat of lube, but that hasn’t been my experience with testing individual switches.

Note that some non-POM-housing switches with tight internals, like Tealios and Alpacas, also have a (very small) amount of stick-slip, but that goes away after lubing.

I am pretty happy with 206g00 lubed Creams. In my case, lube started to wear off within days but the loss tapered off after a week. While not as nice as how it felt the first day but still pretty nice. That said, I love how Cream sounds so I’m thinking about using it again in a future build giving it the full treatment (wear-in period, PTFE powder, etc).