Lubing Switches: Where to lube

How about thin teflon grease, or ptfe powder ?

Iā€™ve traditionally heard that lubing the tactile legs can ruin the tactility, it would make sense that the same logic can be applied to the contacts, although Iā€™ve never heard it. Usually thicker lube and in more places rounds and smoothens the bump.

After reading MIkeā€™s post, I went back and relubed Outemu Sky tops. That removed the last trace of scratchiness from the switch.

Best part is I was able to to do it without opening the switch. Just,

1. remove keycap from switch
  2. press switch stem down all the way with something (I used a tweezer)
  3. lube areas shown in the post

Wolla!

3 Likes

Yes

Good stuff, really appreciated the detail of the experiment.

I agrees with the others that lubing the peg can be beneficial, if done correctly.
So far I always only lubed the peg.

Iā€™d be curious to see if the wear points would be the same if the switch was lubed. The whole point of lubing is so that thereā€™s not drag/friction on certain parts and I wonder if it smooths out some of these areas when lubing just the rails, etc.

I donā€™t want to come across as negative, Iā€™m just curious how lubing just the rails and sides would affect friction areas. What Iā€™m getting at is I wonder if some of those friction zones would change (better or worse) with rail-style lubing.

Thank you very much for your very extensive guide!

I just lubed my Zelios V2 62g according to your recommendations.
Also applied a very thin coat of lube on the stem legs (with what was remaining on my brush).

These are not yet been installed on a keyboard, but only testing on my fingers I can already say that they are much smoother than before and just a fraction less tactile.
Also I was surprised to hear they are much quieter!

1 Like

Amazing post! Thank you!

1 Like