Making a Custom Case

So I want to try and make a custom HHKB style case out of wood. What tools should I use for this? I have a router but I’ve been told those can be a bit dangerous for this type of work.

The reason I want to make one is that I want to do one of the HHKB layouts for the boardwalk, but I really want a nice wooden case, but the ones that I have seen generally don’t have the blockers in the corners.

1 Like

I hate to say it but if you’re talking about a single block of wood, a router is the best tool. I can imagine how I might do this but to make something nice, it’s not trivial. First, I would cut a template from 1/4 inch acrylic that outlines the hole I want to create. Clamp that to my wood. Then use a small bit with a guide bearing to remove all the internal material to the right depth. The corners where the bit can’t reach would need a smaller bit or hand work with a chisel.

Or, contact a vendor that makes existing wood cases and ask if they can make a custom one for you or provide a filler for your cutouts.

I knew it wouldn’t be easy, but I wasn’t sure if there were other tools out there that would be easier. It’s something that I am still researching, but if it gets to a point where I can’t manage it, I will look into the vendor option. I know of Woodkeys making custom keyboard cases, but are there any others?