Mid-Ranged?

Good to hear that! I’ve really been trying to get my hands on one, but with swearing off big markets like Discord Servers or MechMarket, it’s been hard to try.

@hellla I think it’s plan Z, to be honest. :sweat_smile: It’ll be a bit hard to learn everything, about manufacturing, finishes, price, etc, but I’ll be willing to do that if nothing shows up in 2-3 months. I’ll keep you posted if I do or not.

1 Like

Yeah, the Scarlet was one of the two I was really considering, the other being the Ciel. The Q3 was mentioned here as well, but just generally trying to buy something away from the mainstream keyboards with PE foam, tape, silicone, PC plates, PBT keycaps, Gat Black Inks, well, you get the idea.

It is definitely on the higher end of my budget, so I think I’ll see if I can get my hands on one, along with the Ciel.

Would be cool if there were cafes where one can go and try mechanical keyboards, like there are cafes with cats and dogs for people to pet. Regulars could lend some of their prized keyboards there like artists have exhibitions.

5 Likes

It’s worth considering the KBD8x MkII even today. Solid top mount board, with clean ai03 aesthetics

3 Likes

Yes, the KBD8X MKII is great. I would say it was the best in its class until the Frog and Mr. Suit came along.

Problem is, I thought they were retailing for above $300, so I didn’t mention it [OP said 200-250 range]. But then I noticed that the black kit is $289:

https://kbdfans.com/collections/diy-kit/products/kbd8x-markii-with-pc-plate-custom-mechanical-keyboard-kit?variant=39619356950667

I can highly recommend the KBD8X MKII. It’s ready-to-buy and ready-to-build.

I have the Polycarb WKL version. Aftermarket polycarb plate, you can use any lubed PCB-mount stabilizers.

The typing feel is very good with tactiles - I think it is top-mount? It is a clean and tasteful design. You can adjust sound in a variety of ways. Only problem with it is that there are no adjustable legs, or no mechanism for adjusting it. So your desk better be at a good angle.

You could wait for the Freebird, of course. But this is available now.

2 Likes

Yup, definitely. One thing to consider is also aftermarket. It’s gonna be a bit hard because I swore off on big markets like MechMarket and Discord Servers, even going to delete my Discord account in the process (Super toxic people and low-balling).

Anybody know any friendly markets with a relatively big size? Keebtalk and Keebs for All Marketplace is great and all, but not having much luck.