Monitor Discussion

I did watch one of his vids, but never personally saw micro stuttering in action while using Fastsync. When G-Sync and Fastsync are both enabled they dynamically swap depending on how many frames are being sent to the monitor. If Fastsync works for your setup when over frames (subjective), then keeping it on doesn’t compromise G-Sync in any way. As far as the G-Sync range goes, maybe I’m thinking of the G-Sync Ultimate certification that requires the whole range to be covered.

G-sync didn’t originally work in conjunction with Fastsync, IIRC when I bought my monitor a little over 2 years ago.

Will have to do some reading, to see what has changed with fastsync and if it will work for my scenario…

& @rockway

So that comment was from my 1 day of searching them. I might had jumped the gun a little. Unbox Therapy 12/6/2018 had a follow up video a year after their kickstarter video addressing their on the “surface killer” laptop/tablet with their comment section telling people to charge backs on their credit card. The Verge has an article dating back Feb 22, 2019… Some did get them but their keyboard died in 3 months from what I remember reading. Lack of customer support on refund which make sense.

Day 2 of looking into it. Eve got screwed by their partners and plan on doing well with these monitors to get the company back on their feet and set everything straight. I guess they are going with the funding a failed group buy with another group buy. I guess in my point of view. I would rather buy this full price. I am pretty sure this spec will still hold strong eoy in the monitor market. This is from eve v reddit/google search.

I advise to continue with your own research on top of what I found.

1 Like

Got used to running with three screens at work, so I now also run three screens at home and occasionally even two screens on the laptop. :wink:

Home (from left to right):

• Eizo EV2455 (24", 1920x1200, on HDMI, monitoring dashboard)
  • Eizo EV2455 (24", 1920x1200, on DisplayPort, main screen)
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2343bw (23", 2048x1152, vertical, on DVI, web browser)

Work (from left to right):

• Eizo FlexScan S2100 (21", 1600x1200, vertical, on DVI, monitoring dashboard)
  • Dell U2415 (24", 1920x1200, vertical, on DisplayPort, web browser)
  • Dell U2415 (24", 1920x1200, on HDMI, main screen)

Mobile screen (for Raspberry Pis, as secondary laptop screen, etc.):

And yes, even at home mostly office-style screens. I neither do much graphics stuff nor much 3D or Hi-FPS-FPS⁽¹⁾ gaming. Main focus always was to get a high resolution on a not so big screen to get as many text terminals on as little space as possible. As you might know, X11 is primarily a terminal multiplexer and 8x14 and 8x16 are the only relevant font sizes. :wink:

In the past I preferred 20" or 22" screens like that Eizo FlexScan at work, but in the end, for 1920x1200, 24" was the best compromise. (And my eyes aren’t getting younger either.)

Also had one cheap (like $140) AOC 23" screen for a while, but that one started to black out for seconds to minutes shortly after the warranty was over. Won’t buy that brand again—bought the two Eizo EV2455 screens for IIRC like $500 each as replacement—and I don’t regret that. The only disadvantage are their zero travel inductive buttons. I was hoping for “tactile” ones based on the pictures on the internet. :wink:

⁽¹⁾ Hi Frames Per Second First Person Shooter :wink:

2 Likes

Love the footnote there. :wink:

1 Like

I use the same. It’s great. Dual monitor 27in monitor setup seems the best.

Edit: Also I don’t really care for these crowd designed projects. Why not go with a tried and true monitor company?

I would really love to get a dual 27" setup going but I need to be able to swing my work monitor in front of my for work, and then the gaming monitor in front of me to game, I haven’t found an elegant solution to that yet.

Get a gaming ultrawide – work and play on the same monitor :hugs:

1 Like

Running an AW3418DW but I’m debating switching to a 38" Ultrawide when those begin to get some sort of discounts.

1 Like

LG - 38UC99-W 38" IPS LED UltraWide with FreeSync (compatible with G-Sync now).

I will absolutely not use any other form factor after having it. Widescreen and the extra vertical resolution is invaluable for programming and wonderful for gaming.

I do wish I had the newer model with 144hz, but pushing 75 fps on this resolution in modern games is tricky enough as it is. And FPS / refresh rate does have diminishing returns in terms of perception. Then there’s the obvious $800 price jump. -_-

Hear, Hear.

It’s hard to read small text on my old 21.5" 1920x1080 monitors, due to their higher PPI, then my 34" 2560x1080 UW.

If Microsoft and the equally offending 3rd partly software vendors ever get scaling sorted out, I might consider moving past XXXXx1080 and XXXXx1200 monitors, but for know, 24", 27"/34"UW 1080 and 1200 monitors are my go to.

Food for thought:
It some times helps if you think of PPI, instead of screen size.
After using several monitor sizes at home and the office (ancient CRT’s to modern radiology monitors), these are my conclusions.
XX<80 PPI: Pixels are too easy to see. (I actually have a lot of users, that miss their old Monitors that had PPI’s below 80)
80-85 PPI: Easy to read, but not the sharpest. (Most desired by the users at work typically 27" 1920x1080)
85-95 PPI: Sharper but more fatiguing, when reading. (Not really that common. I have two at my workstation.)
XX>95 PPI: Hard to read. (I get a lot of that’s way to tiny, and end up setting the resolution to a lower resolution in Windows, as scaling breaks a few of the applications, that we use.)

2 Likes

Yeah the screen real estate isn’t the issue, it’s needing a good color accurate monitor mixed with a high refresh rate one for gaming. I just need them to be able to be both moved to directly in front of me when I am using them for their intended purpose.

Work: Philips 328B6QJEB, a 32" 2K; 92 PPI.
Home: a 40" Samsung 4K TV.

A 27" 4K is a tiny bit too small for me without scaling, a 27" 2K (109 PPI) feels about perfect to me, but after using it for 2y I am okay with a small PPI tradeoff for the larger screen. (I needed to run only one screen and was waiting for widescreen prices to drop.

The 4K is mounted quite a bit farther back, but definitely causes more eyestrain. I plan to move this somewhere else in the house when i get a high-refresh widescreen.

What I should have said, you can probably get both in one monitor. From what I remember watching from CES 2020 coverage, it looks like LG is adding a G-Sync capable, low refresh rate, IPS monitor to its professional line. I’m not sure on it color space and accuracy, but something soon could fit all your needs.

Currently using a Dell U2410 that has served me well for years. I’ve been thinking about upgrading but I wouldn’t be able to push much past 60fps for games and I don’t feel like I’m missing out on much otherwise. The 1920x1200 24” seems like just the right size to me too.

2 Likes

I use a Samsung 48" 4K HDR tv as my main screen and a Dell U270? as a second monitor. I love these screen sizes for my main and secondary monitors. But my Dell has seen its best days (I get some vertical lines on the display and the USB ports don’t work anymore) so that Eve monitor looks mighty attractive.
Also, in the future I might upgrade my tv to a model with HDMI 2.1 if that will allow me to use higher and variable refresh rates. It is the only feature I miss in my tv but I can’t go back to smaller screensizes :slight_smile:

Has anyone ever tried mixing resolutions? I always wanted to test the idea of a
4k 163ppi 27 inch or 4k 137ppi 32 inch for photos/video
+
1440p 108ppi 27 inch or a 1080p 91ppi 24 inch for gaming.
I wonder how that would look. Scaling wise. I did heard mac os is better at dealing with this than windows.

Yeah, Windows is kind of a mess insofar as higher resolutions are concerned. One pixel in Windows is, for the most part, one pixel. Apple transitioned to “screen units” a while back, which has helped things adapt to higher ppi displays very smoothly. Essentially, a 1080p display is the same number of screen units as a 4k display; the difference is how many pixels the OS uses to render a single “pixel”. On a 4k display, more pixels will be used to render what would be a single pixel on a 1080p display, and anti-aliasing is used to make that look nicer than a simple upscale.

3 Likes