MT2 er DCX Keycap Profile

Eh, honestly at this point I think Drop really doesn’t care unless there is significant backlash. I think they proven that at this point. So I’m sticking to how I’ve dealt with them for years now, if I can get something I really want elsewhere I’ll go elsewhere. If something is a Drop exclusive or the GB is being run through Drop I’ll most likely pass, unless it something I’ve been following or just have to have.

2 Likes

I actually hadn’t seen this post yesterday:

This is also encouraging and I’m really glad to see it. I think a little on-the-level was all that was ever needed here. It’s a little light-and-late for my preference but hey, it’s a lot more than I expected and I give them points for that.

• Making nice with matt3o
  • Changing the name
  • Talking about it

That’s three really good steps in the right direction. Keep it up!

I still don’t trust Dorp as far as I can throw its entire inventory - but they’re at least paying lip-service to doing the right thing here, and that is something. Time will tell if this is setting a new and better tone for Drop, or if it’s simply a calculated bandage on top of an oopsie - but if I see more stuff like this consistently, who knows, they might get some more of my dosh some day after all.

5 Likes

DCX pronouns dicks

3 Likes

At least the name change seems to clear up the confusion. When I heard the name it had pique me interest until I actually saw the set and got completely confused LOL.

Did it really take community backlash to come up with the name that characterizes the actual product? LOL

3 Likes

In related news, Matt3o posted about the new profile he’s working today. Slightly lower than MT3 with some other changes.

5 Likes

I’m really happy for matt3o to do a new profile. And with the drama around Drop’s MT2 naming, we can view this from a new perspective.

At the same time, I’m a little torn, since the profile I have been working on for the past months is very similar to his new profile. And whenever I get the time to present it to the world, it would really hurt to be called a copy cat.

Glad I posted some time stamps :smiley:

5 Likes

8 Likes

It really is quite amazing how similar the dish shape is to my profile.

8 Likes

I wonder what ever happened to the Novelkeys design, as well. I believe it was called NP profile and then just disappeared off the face of the earth. There is a NP profile now, but it’s just XDA renamed. I also wonder who Matt3o is planning on working with. Novelkeys has never done me wrong. Would be an interesting collaboration :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maxkey and Domikey adopted the SA design (although slightly different) and no one blasted them for being copy-cats. I would say they are very successful. I think there’s plenty of room for other keycaps in the market. The issue is going to be getting them made and delivered in today’s crippled supply chain world.

Did you ever present any renders of proposed colorways? I never knew about Ursa until this post.

1 Like

I’ve kept it quiet. I’m going to start its own thread.

1 Like

IIRC even Signature Plastics’ SA tooling was adapted from some older, actual-vintage tooling. I’m pretty curious what SA’s pre-SP history involves.

On one hand I’m pretty sure I found at least one old computer with those keys (Atari 800XL), but on the other, Gorton (the typeface of the SA legends) also shows up on all kinds of other industrial dodads.

2 Likes

I am so glad you mentioned the font name. Off to the font workshops!

I gotchu:

3 Likes

I found a bunch of history about it too: George Gorton Machine Co

1 Like

Those quick brown foxes tho… not the lazy dogs I expected

I prefer to proclaim, loudly; Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow!

5 Likes

Pangrams for dayyyyyyyyys

3 Likes

Makes sense why Matt3o was pissed - he was working on a new lower profile MT3 keycap, probably wanted the MT2 name or at the very least, MT2 name would create confusion with his future creation.

This ‘making up’ with Drop leaves room for him to partner with Drop to release his own “MT2” he has been planing for some time. Going by the timing and how many prototypes, it sounds like the recent drama forced him to announce it earlier than later.

I know he said he hasn’t approached anyone but i’m going to guess Drop releasing his MT2 is likely, considering they rename their in-house (previously) MT2 to DCX, leaving it open for the Matt3o MT2 he announced days later.

1 Like

Matteo’s codename for the new caps is SP3, named after his partner. It sounds like he wants to release it through other vendors (separate for ABS and PBT?) rather than Drop.

2 Likes