MT2 er DCX Keycap Profile

It’s fun to see keyboard world drama make it to the mainstream tech press. The Verge wrote about the new MT2/DCX profile and the naming cluster.

Side note: I have no idea who built it, but it would be interesting to see keycaps.info updated with the explosion of new profiles that have come out in the last 18 months.

2 Likes

Domikey use a very specific mold for their space bars, with a rounded front edge (where the thumb would hit usually). If that rounded edge is absent from DCX then it’s definitely not related to Domikey.

So Drop is selling deadpan copy of GMK WoB set with slightly different font for $79?

On one hand, Drop is so spankable. On the other, meh.

1 Like

Well I mean WoB is a very simple colorway that is popular in cherry profile, so it makes sense to do it in DCX.

I’m disappointed in the kitting; at least, the ability to add new keys going forward. They had the opportunity to fix their admitted problem of inflexible molds, which prevented them from adding keys to MT3 except at great expense (or corporate sponsorship).

Now they say they can’t even add an extra B in the future for Alice layouts, let alone international support or novelties. $1.5million invested in this (according to Drop), and they repeated the same mistakes?

4 Likes

A few months back, @pixelpusher noticed the Cannon Keys CXA profile uses a similar rounded spacebar style too.

1 Like

Looks like keycaps.info updated to add DCX. Here’s DCX stacked with Cherry:

2 Likes

I have no words. From what it looks like, they didn’t even try, or they didn’t have the courage to establish something new in the world of cylindricals.

2 Likes

It will never be a buy for me if that is the spacebar profile :grimacing:

1 Like

I hadn’t been keeping up with this thread and just read through all of it - all I can really say is wow. Drop’s PR team is so consistently bad that I’m starting to wonder if they do it on purpose.

As for the profile itself, I don’t even know what to say. It’s actually kind of surprising that MiTo wanted to be associated with it. I guess they’re aiming to be a more premium alternative to GMK with better legends and other minor tweaks, but being involved with the process of copying Cherry’s homework from 40 years ago doesn’t seem like something to brag about IMO.

I think it’s wrong, the product photos clearly show convex spacebars e.g.

3 Likes

I think that the profile is for the modifiers only.
Should be strange to have that for the spacebar.

That bulge spacebar is also probably for 2u, 2.25u, 2.75u spacebars for alice and split/ortho/ boards

2 Likes

I think all of their creative energy went into making absurdity look professional.

3 Likes

Don’t be too shure, they couldn’t do it for MT3…

79 for now, they said its gonna go back up to 99

1 Like

By all accounts DCX are very high quality. Drop needs to continue to evolve them beyond just colorways. They need Icon, and all Text mod options. They need novelties.

That being said, another classic color way released in DCX and the first to tempt me:

3 Likes

So DCX Dolch running now very temping Drop. ETA of

August 05, 2022

:eyes:

Meanwhile I am interested in GMK Classic Beige is running now with an ETA “expected to ship from Germany on or before August 15th, 2023”…

(I feel like Drop would likely release more “classic” quickly and I just need to hold out. Also need to drop this keycap addiction)

6 Likes

The “Shif⎵t” legend bothers me so I’ll need to wait for sets with icon mods.

Icons would be good, I’m not to fond of the font so only text would be horrific.
But until they get a proper 40s and NorDe tooling I won’t eaven consider them.

That said, I’m quite surprised that Dorp haven’t pulled out MiTo’s library of colorways.

NGL, that’s a pretty sweet Dolch, and it tempted me too.

But I already have Modo 2 so…

I figure we’ll get more unique colourways later. Big ‘question-mark’ for me is the surface texture. GMK and DCS ABS surface texture is hard-to-beat, the PBT clone sets can’t do it. Wonder how DCX stacks up.