Need your Keyboard Sounds

Soo, can I use my cellphone for this, and do you recommend certain app for this? :thinking:

I used my cell phone to record an example of scratchy bad switches for the server.

Yes, you very likely can use your phone to record for this. That said, I donā€™t recommend editing on one. I should clarify that my recordings and masters were both done on a PC with a Blue Yeti microphone, utilizing Audacity. By ā€˜testsā€™, I meant that when playing my various recordings on my phone, a reasonably high quality, seemingly life-like sound was perceived. I think even with phone microphones, a reasonably high quality sound could be achieved if done with preparation and care.

Audacity is free, and nearly all keyboard enthusiasts have access to a computer. Most phones ship with voice recording software these days, which is sufficient for making recordings. On my android (Samsung) phone, Iā€™m able to go into a stock app and select to record in stereo or mono, and record at up to 256kbps@48kHz. There are undoubtedly better options, but that will certainly do the job if you donā€™t have a dedicated mic. Even then, a standalone mic sufficient for these purposes wonā€™t cost much on the used market (I got mine for $45 maybe four years ago).

Sound isolation and absorption are another obstacle, but that is unrelated to primary problems which most participants may have. Honestly, these are the easiest to resolve, and I do not believe it will be a problem whatsoever for the majority of people. If youā€™re going to record in the near future and need to absorb excess sound, try using bath towels.

I intend to post some notes about my processes, but I will need to do more testing and submit my complete sound set first. I expect to have this completed by the 21st or 22nd, so I will share my process notes around that time.

1 Like

Ok. I now have a mp3 of my keyboard sound.

Iā€™m going to have to firmly disagree.

My wife and I live in two different countries (Hopefully this will be rectified before the end of the yearā€¦) We dated / did the long distance relationship thing, for a couple years. Weā€™ve used iPhones, Android phones, Logitech webcams, Yeti microphones, and a couple different headsets. for communication. We can tell when the audio is not as expected.

The last time their was an audio issue, My wife made the comment, ā€œWhy do you should like shit.ā€ The answer, was Windows switched my default communication device, from the Yeti, to the Logitech C920 webcamā€™s integrated mic. She later elaborated, that my voice sounded flat and tinny, while it was coming through the C920, ware as the Yeti, more accurately captured my voice.

Microphone type and quality, is going to have noticeable effect, in regards to tone and depth of sound. The choice of mic is also going to effect how the microphone needs to be positioned, in relation, to the subject being recorded.

As for Speakers and headphones, If you dive into headphone reviews (The rtings headphone comparison is a great starting point, they have frequency response graphs, for their reviews.), youā€™ll find, that there are grate deviations in how different headphones sound. The same will apply for speakers, but I donā€™t know of a good place point you towards, because Iā€™ve only just begun to dip my toes, into that pool, due to itā€™s overlap, into the headphone world.

I think there are a few pretty tall hurdles, in front of this project. Some of which, I donā€™t believe can be cleared. Hopefully Iā€™m proven wrong. :wink:

PS: I remember hearing some one say / quote some thing along the lines of ā€œAudio reproductions itā€™s all fake. Donā€™t worry about it, just pick the fake, that you like.ā€

Microphone type and quality, is going to have noticeable effect, in regards to tone and depth of sound. The choice of mic is also going to effect how the microphone needs to be positioned, in relation, to the subject being recorded.

my voice sounded flat and tinny, while it was coming through the C920, ware as the Yeti, more accurately captured my voice.

I did not say mic of choice wouldnā€™t impact it at all. In fact, I do agree that there is certainly a benefit to selecting a proper mic, and that it is usually ideal to acquire a standalone unit for this purpose. I did however also say that decent results could be had when setting a smartphone to perform recordings at maximum lossless quality. Of course calls will not sound as clear through a phone mic compared to a dedicated standalone unit. Said transmissions are not typically being recorded at maximum quality, very possibly lossy, and likely not kept in a static position within an isolated space. Comparing lossless recordings in an isolated environment to something like a Skype/Discord/Whatsapp call over phone is not at all a reasonable comparison.

I am running Shure SRH1540 headphones on a Steinberg UR44, with my Blue Yeti connected directly to my PC over USB. They are not the best in the world, but they are certainly respectable. I have used multiple Shure products, and they have proven to be effective and durable even when driven nearly every waking hour as daily drivers. I have made smartphone recordings for music references for half a decade, and even the rough, shaky, lower-quality recordings were of use in this case. I am confident in saying that most participants donā€™t need to buy more hardware if they want to submit something usable. They will want to clean up the sounds in software like Audacity or with plugins like Izotope RX 7, but at least the first option is free.

I think there are a few pretty tall hurdles, in front of this project. Some of which, I donā€™t believe can be cleared. Hopefully Iā€™m proven wrong.

Lack of editing experience or guidelines are a bigger issue than the tech itself. It does not take much to make a basic isolated space, position a microphone, and record a few minutes of sound. Cleaning up sound and avoiding distortion in the process is arguably a much bigger problem. It is always best to get as clean of a sound as possible first before processing it. That will matter more than the device itself, unless itā€™s exceedingly old or a janky mic. Even then, cheap DIY setups could be made, such as with DIYPerkā€™s laptop salvaging video. Barrier to (reasonable) entry is low.

Ahoy - been a bit busy the past few days but should have loads of time after this coming weekend; Iā€™ve got an iPhone 8, and a modest lapel mic I could connect to a PC or other device. Any thoughts on which might be better? If not I could send some short samples from each.

I have quite a few different sets of switches, but my only hot-swap with 5-pin support is a 60% - would that still be valuable to the project? If not I do have a hot-swap TKL that could mount a smaller selection of them. Buckets of keycaps.

Iā€™ve got a couple sizes of tripod I could rig-up to position the mic / recording device at whatever desired relative position to the keyboard. Acoustics-wise, Iā€™ve got a hardwood table I could use and/or a deskmat.

Let me know what would be most valuable to you guys, and Iā€™ll do a recording sesh.

yeah I suppose I ought to contribute, I have several boards with tealios and GMK caps and am actually kind of curious what the differences between them would sound like on mic

1 Like

Iā€™ve been troubleshooting why Iā€™ve been having recording problems after my first few recordings. Seems my cable went bad soon after, so I needed to swap it out and fine tune gain settings a bit more. I still intend to release my recordings and some personal notes in the near future as I suggested a few posts ago. I will make an update in this thread when I have finished my recordings.

@Deadeye

Iā€™ve got an iPhone 8, and a modest lapel mic I could connect to a PC or other device. Any thoughts on which might be better? If not I could send some short samples from each.

It depends on the individual mic(s), but I would presume that the lavalier is better. If youā€™d like prepare some quick recordings and post a link the files, Iā€™ll listen to them and provide my subjective opinion. Alternatively, something like Discord is fine too.

I have quite a few different sets of switches, but my only hot-swap with 5-pin support is a 60% - would that still be valuable to the project? If not I do have a hot-swap TKL that could mount a smaller selection of them. Buckets of keycaps.

Youā€™ll have to ask Glarses or Kasuka. Kasuka is the person who Iā€™ve spoken to the most, and is a bit easier to get a hold of. Both are available in Glarsesā€™ Discord server.

@dwarflemur Hereā€™s the Git: Keybrary
Glarsesā€™ youtube channel has a video on the subject: ā€œHow To Make Any Keyboard Sound AMAZINGā€

He used Audacity in his recordings if I recall correctly, and so have I. A proper DAW and plugins may result in better samples, but thatā€™s more work to deal with for most people who would wish to contribute.

I will be getting in touch with all of your queries soon!
I am on duty right now

1 Like

Wait, so I just had a look at the GitHub linked above, Iā€™m sorry, but I definitely do not have the time to make an individual file every key on the keyboard.

1 Like

OK soā€¦
You can just submit your sounds as a single file with continuous typing.
Just please mention the order of keys you press in a note file?

Also, you can record in literally any way. Best would be to have around 50cm distance mid way above the board. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your concerns are actually VERY valid.
But it is very highly unlikely that the same person would listen to the same sound from multiple sound sources no? (:smile:
Apart from that, what we are trying to achieve is a library of sounds that can be referenced to when needed, and can be used as an analytic as well as educational database, especially on the difference between the sounds as the housing and case etc are changed. In the end, a same set of headphones or a set of speakers will effect each sound the same wayā€¦
So we can say by property of unanimous error, it is pretty uniform subjectively.

1 Like

Oh please not necessary.
You can just make and submit a single file too.
That was written to see if there was someone who would :stuck_out_tongue:

I will ask Glarses to change it.

1 Like

I would recommend having a spot for recording device and distance from keyboard, that can be attached to the description.

2 Likes

I got into touch with Glarses for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

SO the GitHub page will be updated soon.
We have been working on making the submission process easier and less of a hassle.
We found a cool few tools on Audacity, that may streamline the individual key filing. This is what is taking time.

1 Like

So I know this thread is pretty necro, but I finally found a way to record my keyboard sounds to .mp3 or.wav files & upload it to my PC for sharing! Sorry it took so long, work has been crushing me lately. I just did the test run which came out well (other than the fact my family is at my house today for Labor Day dinner so you can slightly hear them talking in the backgroundā€¦ LOL!). Gonna start going through my boards & get files made the way you asked (Iā€™m thinking a quick description of the overall build & switches, then going row by row, then flat out typing) in the next few days here after work & hopefully have something to contribute by the end of the week!

Test file using my T60 with PE Gats

2 Likes