New HHKB Studio? MX, linear, hotswap, gesture controls

The Tom’s Hardware reviewer pretty much nailed it. It’s a big “why tho” board.

2 Likes

Back when I entertained the notion of buying an HHKB, I searched exclusively for the JP model with the 2.5u space layout to make it easier to hit the modifiers with my thumb. So yes, the 6u space is more appealing to me than a 6.25u. That said, after using an ergo layout (ergohaven k:02), I can’t see myself going back to a long space of any size.

As for the HHKB Studio, I’ll break ranks and say that it would be my HHKB of choice and my first HHKB purchase (if it came with the JP 2.5u space layout).

• Mouse Function: I try do as much as I can with keyboard shortcuts so I can avoid wasting time reaching for the mouse; however, I sometimes still need to use the mouse and having it built into the keyboard would be nice.
  • Gesture Pads: Not sure I would use these since I’ve mapped most of the functionality I would want from gesture pads into layers, but assuming the gesture pads (front two at least) are easily reachable, it could be a nice way to free up layer space.
  • MX Switches: I understand this may be sacrilegious to topre enthusiasts, but for someone who has no attachment to topre and who has found go-to MX switches, I’d be glad I could use them. That said, it would be nice if there was an option.
  • Restrictive Keycaps: I love custom keycaps as much as the next person. I own SA Oblivion, SA Godspeed, GMK Pixel, and GMK Metropolis among others, but one of my favorite keyboards is an all black case with ePBT black blank keycaps. Having that clean, minimalist aesthetic on my HHKB would suit my preferences.

I do think it is strange that they are alienating many of their existing customers by switching to MX. Other than that odd decision, I appreciate it whenever a keyboard manufacturer attempts to innovate with new functionality.

3 Likes

Reading several threads about this kb on different platforms, it’s clear that the overall reaction from enthusiasts is negative, and no wonder; the final price is +$400 and you get:

• silent mx linear switches (big slap in the face for Topre users)
  • no qmk/zmk, and remapping in their software is quite limited
  • all plastic structure (a qk60 is substantially cheaper and you get a much higher quality board for what you pay)
  • no custom keycap compat whatsoever
  • made in china, so their priority is max profits for the lowest possible manu price

Since their target demo is clearly NOT keyboard enthusiasts, who is it? This question got me to rewatch the trailer they made. They feature:

• music production
  • coding
  • video editing

So I guess their target is content creators. Can somebody who works in music production chime in? I can at least confirm the HHKB is great for coding/writing… but if their aim is the creative field, they’re dangerously tone deaf. I don’t know about other video editors, but at least for me, the HHKB is no good for this task, since I use the F/nav keys all the time in Davinci Resolve/After Effects. Having keys you use on every step of the process behind layers is just inefficient and slows you down. It’s no good for 2D/3D modeling or graphic design either since the arrows are used as much as, if not more than the letter/number keys themselves.

I honestly think that for creative work, 75% is as low as you can go if you wanna stay productive. Oh well, time will tell… in the meantime I’ll keep lurking around to see if I find who asked for this keyboard.

7 Likes

For context I’m not in the market for a HHKB: I’m a very satisfied Cherry SX Scissor Switch user, and if I ever want to use mechanical switches again I’d likely try a split Choc low profile ergo like the zsa Voyager.

That said: I prefer a beige or white keyboard and therefore this is immediately disqualified. But even if I look past that the black dyesub caps are a nonstarter as (for me) are difficult to read. Why not go with White on Black double shots? “Because history” - well history is out the door when moving away from Topre switches and Japanese production.

I have no doubt they will find buyers for this - but - will there be enough of them to generate enough profit to keep the bean counters at bay? I’m skeptical.

1 Like

A track point on an HHKB keyboard! What more can one ask for in life? While many people might be put off by the switches, I think this board is perfect for travel/laptop use.

I’m wondering whether to cop it now at its (relatively high) pre-order price or wait until it aged and maybe dropped in price?

And the legends are HHKB’s new center justified, which is a huge no bueno for me. That said, at least you can swap out to any other MX-style keycap set.

EDIT: Actually nvm, you can’t! Currently watching LightningXI’s stream, and the G, H and B are going to be all cattywampus because of the trackpoint.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why they would make something their customers do not want. Why would they ditch topre? Topre switches were a big part of HHKB success in the first place.

This feels a bit like what has happened to World of Warcraft:
Create a successful product with a cult following.
Alienate the core customers by implementing changes they don’t like, just to get buy in from people who didn’t like the original product.
Do this over and over again, eventually ruining the product (we are not at this step atm).

Hopefully the last step does not happen, and the “real” HHKB’s will stay as topre.

P.S.
I don’t have a HHKB, nor do I care too much. Feels bad for the HHKB enthusiasts though I’d imagine.

1 Like

EDIT: Actually nvm, you can’t! Currently watching LightningXI’s stream, and the G, H and B are going to be all cattywampus because of the trackpoint.

Well, you still could.

@Valkai

I don’t understand why they would make something their customers do not want.

I do want. Ultimately many of their customers don’t care about Topre vs MX, because their customers aren’t solely a handful of hardliners on keebtalk, but a rather wide variety of people.

2 Likes

And even if they aren’t a wide variety, I’m sure PFU would like them to be. I’m sure they’d also like to be on the short list for corporate procurement types to accommodate certain ergonomics and “odd-duck coding types” use cases. The new one includes arrow keys (of a sort) and allows use of a mouse without leaving the keyboard. MX is so standard as to be passé in the enthusiast community, but it’s still a prestige product in the broader computing world (even the worst commodity blue gamer board is at a ~100% premium to its membrane equivalent). It’s also worth noting that Topre is a separate company, and there a million reasons PFU might want to hedge their bets and have a foothold, however shallow, in the MX market.

1 Like

They also may be incorrect about what their customers or potential customers want. I personally don’t think it’s great for their brand, but maybe they aren’t happy with their brand’s current reach. I guess we’ll see what the market for this is, one way or the other.

EDIT: Clearly it’s getting some traction, and that’s fine. No offense to you if you’re into it. IMO ideally it’s a decent product that does broaden their reach and supports the Topre side of the business as well rather than supplanting it.

There are just so many MX boards that I hope they don’t move away from the main thing that makes them unique in my eyes, which is Topre. Not deeply invested myself, either, but am hoping to pick up a Topre HHKB.

I’m surprised at the sound signature of the switches. Many of the typing tests online have at least a passing resemblance to silenced Topre in terms of acoustics within the large plastic board. Do we know if these are off the shelf or custom? They seem to be very similar to the Kailh Deep Sea Islet linears but they don’t appear to have the same RGB window.

1 Like

I’ll post my typing sounds within the next couple days so there will be another reference for the typing sounds :+1:

1 Like

First sound test sounds really nice but I’ve yet to see other HHKB Studio sound test replicating the sound.

It’d be interesting to hear what HHKB Studio with TTC Silent Bluish White switches sounds like.

1 Like

Did you ever post your sound test? Haven’t been able to find it.

I’ve been enjoying Durock T1 silents in mine for the past month or so. The included silent linears are nice, but I agree with the sentiment that having a tactile option at launch would have been better aligned with their brand.

I do software development in my day job (I think I sit somewhere in their target demographic), but it still feels like there are more misses than hits here. The price point feels like it is for enthusiasts, but I’d imagine enthusiasts would prefer something with better materials & aftermarket keycap compatibility.

One of my co-workers did get one though and was quite happy with it, but he’s since gone back to using his 75% keychron after trying to get used to the layout.

Some thoughts:

• If you’re curious about the trackpoint, the nib feels nice to me and it works just fine (supports tap to click, double tap to select, and it’s easy to adjust the sensitivity on the fly).
  • The gesture pads are… less nice. It feels like they go to sleep after a few seconds and need a few swipes to activate. It was annoying as I felt like I constantly had to redo gestures to get the darn thing to work.
  • Difficult to take apart. You have to apply a bit of force all around the edges to separate the plastic halves. This feels like a step back, especially compared to the Pro 2/3 which I think come apart quite easily once the screws are out. I wanted to put some poly-fil in the case cavity as there was some noticeable pinging and it felt needlessly difficult to get the bottom off.
  • 4 (FOUR!!!) AA batteries are required for wireless operation. IMO this is comical on a $330 board coming out in 2023. The batteries are so heavy, and they rattle in the case when you pick it up and set it down. I really wish they had put a rechargable battery in the case.

After a month though, I’m ready to go back to my Pro 2. I miss having a USB hub to plug in my security key and I still prefer the feel of old topre domes to T1s (although the T1s are very nice). The trackpoint is nice, but I use a macbook and the trackpad is so much more convenient than the trackpoint that it’s just not worth it for me.

5 Likes

I recently purchased a HHKB Studio keyboard for personal use, as I’m a fan of the original HHKB series. Having used it for less than a month, I’ve observed notable differences compared to the classic Topre HHKB keyboards, especially regarding the typing feel and sound. The typing experience on this keyboard is impressive, but distinctly different from the Topre HHKBs. Switching between the two feels odd, requiring a period of adjustment each time. It’s a bit challenging to articulate, but there’s a noticeable transition phase.

In addition, the space bar has a satisfactory sound, but I’ve noticed a peculiar, metallic-like noise. I’m not certain if this is an issue exclusive to my HHKB Studio.

For reference, I’ve made a typing demonstration video using my iPhone. While the quality may not be the best, I hope it will be helpful.

1 Like

I don’t know if I hear the metallic-like noise much in your video, but perhaps it’s the space bar stabilizers rattling. If so, you can add lubrication to quiet them. Search for stabilizer rattle for more ideas on how to tackle the issue.

2 Likes

I can’t really hear the metallic sound in your video either, but if it sounds like a faint echo of a metallic “ping” i noticed the same thing with mine.

I think it’s because of some reverberations from the steel plate, but I’m not 100% sure if that’s the cause.

I thought it might have been some case ping, but even after I stuffed the cavity with poly-fil I could still hear the noise so I suspect it has something to do with the plate.

2 Likes

Thank you all! I tried adding lubrication, but I could still hear the noise. I also think it’s not the stabilizer but something else.