Nintendo Switch Games Thread

Share your favorite games here!

I’ve got a couple to start with. These are two titles I would repurchase if somehow my Switch died and I couldn’t recover them:

Kuso:

• This is a platform based game in the spirit of N++ and Super Meat Boy.
  • There isn’t any story to speak of.
  • Visuals remind me of an overclocked Apple II or TRS-80 Color Computer.
  • Sound track is fantastic and there is unique music for each level.
  • Has a variety of Unlimited/Training/Speed Run modes.
  • $4.99.

DragonFang Z:

• Dungeon Crawling Roguelike with very interesting mechanics.
  • A love letter to Chunsoft’s Shiren the Wanderer series.
  • I instantly loved the music but it took a while for the graphics to grow on me.
  • You haven’t seen this much “Engrish” since the 1980’s. I don’t know if someone told them it would add character; but given the number of complaints they’ve been actively updating the script.
  • Has DLC dungeons that can be purchased, with more on the way.
  • I’m a huge Shiren the Wanderer fan and this hit the spot.
  • $24.99

Games I’m looking forward to in 2019:

• Tangledeep
  • Ultimate ADOM
  • Chocobo Mystery Dungeon
1 Like

Shovel Knight is a great, great game.

I also like Hollow Knight, Mario Odyssey, and Darkside Detective.

There are more games, but these came immediately to mind.

Celeste and Hyper Light Drifter are definitely in the pack with Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight of “not exclusive, but really friggin good on Switch” games.

I’ve been playing a good amount of Smash Ultimate lately with my bois @Sushiimi and @SmallWind

Last week I started my first Breath of the Wild playthrough and so far so good! It’s pretty fun!

I’m interested in getting Dark Souls because I need to play it for the umpteenth time.

I feel like I still need to get Mario Party and Mario Kart otherwise it’s like I’m missing out on the complete “Nintendo Experience”.

I haven’t had a good JRPG experience in a while, so I’m looking forward to Tales of Vesperia which releases in a couple days I think. Supposedly FFVII will release on the Switch this year which would be an amazing game to play again.

Stein’s gate is planned on releasing on the switch as well which is a great Visual Novel I’d recommend to anyone ever.

I’m pretty excited to get much more play time with my switch this year :slight_smile:

+1 to both of those, Celeste was most excellent.

Yeah, I finally got around to playing Celeste right before the new year (after having played the PICO-8 demo back when it first happened) and it was excellent. Those C-Sides got tough :joy:

I haven’t tried anything from the Visual Novel genre yet. I took a quick glance at what is available and think VA-11 Hall-A will be my first; and that is getting a Switch release this year.

I haven’t played a “traditional” JRPG in ages. Call me Grand Pa or Hipster all you like but the last RPG I enjoyed and left a lasting impression was Final Fantasy 3 (6) on the Super Nintendo.

Another genre on the Switch that I think you may like is FMV. I might skip Doctor Dekker but give Late Shift or The Shape Shifting Detective a try. They were good enough that I hope someone updates / remakes Philips CD-I Burn Cycle for the Switch.

I’ll mimic everyone by saying Celeste, though I’m only on Chapter 6.

My other must have is Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. Game of the Year for me.

I’ll add Bastion, Stardew Valley, and Into the Breach. There are all available elsewhere for cheaper, but having them portable is a whole different thing.

Octopath Traveler.

Was just recently (last weekend I think) on 40% sale. Still might be.

I purchased Risk of Rain tonight and it’s great! I much prefer this to Enter the Gungeon or Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Rumor has it, Tangledeep should hit the eShop at the end of the month!

edit: added Japanese trailer for the weebs!

Takes of vesperia is great! You get all the dlc and it’s remastered. Usually ported switch games seem overpriced, but I didn’t feel that way w/ vesperia I like the combat system - action combo rpg. I usually get bored of games really quickly and there are enough new moves/combos/weapons to unlock that keep things not boring - and combat ends up changing w/ new combos to learn/try etc. The story itself is a teeny bit generic if you’ve played a lot of JRPGs, but the characters themselves have good writing and the rapport between them is great.

I’m really excited for wargroove next week. It’s if advanced wars used fantasy troops.

1 Like