Hey Fellow Clackers!
I would like to introduce Keycoat, a powder coating service, to the community. The shop is located in San Diego, and we have already discussed this concept with the owner. We tested the shop on a kbd75 and ncase m1 side panels to see tolerances and their quality. Here are the results:
Disclaimer : Keycoat can not guarantee that the board will fit the same way it did before powder coating. This is because powder coat is thicker than anodization and that thickness varies depending on the material the powder is made of, but the owner has said that they will try to keep the thickness to a minimum without losing consistency. However, we haven’t had any problems thus far and the quality has been flawless since.
Although this is our first time running a service, we are committed to transparency, communication, and honesty. We will do our utter best to assure high quality powder coat with clear and concise communication.
Discord Server: https://discord.gg/AUVQkuj
What is powder coat?
Powder coat is a free-flowing, dry powder that can be applied to metals, such as aluminum, brass, copper, steel, or silver. Powder coat is uniquely applied to the metal electrostatically after being heated in an oven. Preparation for powder coat involves sandblasting previous anodization or surface finishes, preheating the metal, then spraying the powder.
The advantages of powder coat includes a reduction in the amount of volatile organic compounds released into the environment, a wide variety of specialty effects and colors not achievable in other finishes, and a durable and tough exterior finish that could possibly reduce or hide previous blemishes, scratches, or small nicks/dings.
- Fill out this form
- Keycoat will send the list of color choices to the shop who will review them and suggest any changes or approve of the color choices.
- Keycoat will invoice you the cost of the service plus 2 lbs. of powder.
- The shop will order the powder. Once the powder is received and is confirmed to be the correct color, you will ship the board to us with your own method of shipping, level of insurance, and packing.
Note : Keycoat will pack the product the same way we receive it, so pack carefully.
- Keycoat will send the boards to the shop which will powder coat them and finish them approximately within a week. Quality control will be done to assure satisfaction.
- We will pick up the boards, pack, and ship them out the next day as long as a return shipping label is given to us.
Total Service Time: Approximately 14 days from when we receive the board.
For all keyboards there will be a flat service charge of $95. This is for the service solely. An additional cost for 2 lbs. of powder from prismatic powders will be added. Two pounds of powder typically costs around $30 from prismatic powders, however this varies depending on the color and type of powder.
Estimated total: $95 Service Fee + ~$30 = ~$125
*First Time Customers: Use discount code in additional comments: FIRSTCOAT to discount the Service Fee to $75.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to PM or message on discord.