So Drop is out of stock of regular Halo switches now that Holy Pandas are an in stock item... 🤔

What do you guys make of this, a power move by Drop to corner the HP market & kill the clone market or just a badly timed coincident? Looking through the comments thread it seems customer support has told some people they will eventually restock them at an unspecified date. Take that with a grain of salt though, as there is no comment on there from any Drop employees about if or when Halos will restock. Personally I find it more than a bit suspect they let the stock of Halos run dry at this time, considering up till now they have had them in stock & readily available for almost a whole year. Although I really do hope it is just a terribly timed coincidence as I’d hate to see the gouging & madness we saw awhile back over HPs return.

4 Likes

FWIW, I’ve been playing around with a bunch of different Kailh stems (browns, purples, plums, coppers, burnt oranges) in Panda housings, and I’m finding that some of these combinations are interesting - the long Kailh stems coupled with the Panda housings yield something recognizable as an HP-style sound, but with tactilities less aggressive than the HP (although the burnt orange seems close).

If people are in the HP game for the meme, then I agree this is potentially unfortunate (although again time will tell). But as the community has reached a better understanding of why the HP performs the way it does, I think it may be possible to achieve similar kinds of performance with other readily available stems (perhaps even better performance, if HP tactility is too much for you!). Pair that with the easy availability of Panda housings these days, and I’m personally less bothered by it than I might have been a few months ago. Of course, YMMV.

4 Likes

Didn’t Drop go through a lot of drama to retain the rights to sell Halo switches exclusively? Does seem a bit weird to stop doing that, but maybe they’ll return when Drop has burst the HP bubble.

1 Like

Drop is a way bigger company than anything that we have going on. There’s no question that what they’re doing is motivated by profit. Even the biggest among us, like KBDfans and Novelkeys, are small potatoes compared to just how damn big Drop is.

Less drama and more “protecting their property in an entirely legal albeit dickish-for-the-community move”. While for the community side of things, I:C should’ve kept the rights to the switches, Drop has every legal right to do what they’re doing.

I wanna experiment with Burgundy stems in other housings, because i’ve come to love the sound and feeling of the short bottom-out. Wanna see how linears handle that!

2 Likes

Very valid point & something I am glad to hear! I have heard of people using some Kailh linear stems to reproduce the HP sound, but have not heard of anyone experimenting with other Kailh non BOX tactile stems before you. Gonna have to give some of those combo a try soon & let us know what else you come up with! :sunglasses:

This another good point, they did have a pretty acrimonious fallout with Hatta & IC over them. A lot of it went on behind the scenes, but it wouldn’t surprise me if lawyers were involved & Drop spent a good bit of money to retain the rights to Halos. Also I do see them bringing them back at some point. Just probably after the Panda clone market dies, cause Halo stem price will go through the roof if Halo switches are not available for a few months or longer & with that making clones will be more expensive than just buying Drops HPs.

Very true, we tend to look at Drop as mostly a place to get MKB stuff, but they sell all kinds of stuff. They are a pretty huge company for sure! Which leads me to think the same about this as you.

So I finally just got my first holy panda (mint pandas, halo true stems) board put together (I’ve typed on them some before, but this the first board that’s my own); my impression after a week or so is that while they feel pretty great, I’m not sure that I would go to the effort again to make my own. I’ve done some side by side tests with Zeal V2 switches, and in some cases I actually prefer those. I have yet to build up a board with the massdrop holy pandas to compare those to these.

1 Like

Sounds like drama to me :stuck_out_tongue: I’m definitely not accusing them of doing anything illegal.

1 Like

“Drama” carries the baggage of “petty squabble” to me, not “unfortunate situation created as a result of hobbyists not covering their ass and getting caught in an unfavorable contract they can do nothing about.

2 Likes

I think the best outcome one can wish for is Drop selling just the Halo stems. Cheaper, less waste, simpler logistics. Heck, they can just use an envelope to send a hundred stems.

5 Likes

That’s fair enough - but I actually like stock Halos well enough, and I think that with some lube and spring oil I could use them daily.

1 Like

Fair enough.

1 Like

Honestly the unholy combo made with the leftovers feels really nice when lubed. I have a keeblade I occasionally use at work when I want a smoother typing experience.

1 Like

You wouldn’t happen to need anymore Halo housings would you? I got around 400 of them I’ll never use. All I ask is someone pays for the shipping & they can have as many as they need

I appreciate the offer. I’m actually trying to hunt down some Halo true stems for a future HMintP M0lly build. I’m sure I’ll need some housings for experimenting later though!

I can only cross my fingers that they do bring back the Halo True/Clears though.

1 Like

Dang. I must’ve missed $0.25 per Halo switch sale. My take on it is different because the switch was a steady seller, meaning there was no reason to sell the remaining stock unless they’re planning to sell only the stems. For, say, $0.25 each. ;-p

2 Likes

Didn’t know about that, but it would make a lot more sense if that is the case. Hell I would’ve bought up double what I just got if they were on sale that cheap LOL!

1 Like

If only. They’d honestly get away with $0.35/stem because of how sought after they are. Doesn’t help the current scarcity with the recent Mint/Red Panda GB

1 Like

We typically do not provide specific dates for when products will restock and Halo switches are not an exception. Like you said, Halo switches have been in the store for quite some time and we don’t control when people decide to order them. They simply sold out and it’s just a coincidence that it happened around the fulfillment of Holy Pandas. We will be ordering more soon.

5 Likes

Exactly what a conspirator would say! This proves it!

:rofl: But to be serious, it’s awesome that someone from Drop chimed in. (I presume this is a Drop representative)

I do work for Drop as the Product Lead for Mech Keys. I suppose I should change my name to reflect that. If y’all have questions, feel free to send me a PM. I am mostly on GH, but I do check Keebtalk from time to time.

5 Likes